Builds Out with the old and in with the new!(turboed 2h!) (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok so I've done more work and I'm closer to getting this thing started. I have everything buttoned up except for the radiator. I have installed the ps lines the vacuum canister, drive shafts , shifters etc. I recon I'll be able to turn the key tomorrow . i haven't taken no pics but the best is yet to come.

keep at it....the details are important, it takes some time to just get the small things done and of course chase down things that need to be fixed or replaced. Some things make a lot of sense to swap out now...like water pump...fan clutch ..etc Good thread...thanks for posting.

Thank u for the advice. It's all buttoned up now. All it needs is oil and coolant, and hope it starts. Keep u all posted

Ok. I turned the engine a few times, bled the fuel lines and had my wifey help out with the start. You can see the excitement on her face, lol...

Haha, yes. I have to put on the hood and front grill with the lights, and on to maiden voyage.

I got this beast running and I love it that it finally does not smoke anymore. I however cannot get the air out of the fueling system. Keeps running and shutting down. I keep bleeding the pump, filters and the injection pipes but still cannot get it fully bled. Is there a trick?

Last edited:
Sounds 'right to me. Well done mate! My missus is about as enthusiastic - what's wrong with em eh?

Have a great 'Maiden Voyage' - one of my favourite pieces. Missus don't get jazz either!

Truck is fixed. Ieeeyyyy!! Had a bit of an air leak but I fixed it. I drove it finally. She drives nice. Pheeewwww, finally done...

did you bleed the air out of the return on the side of the pump? i think its a small 10mm bolt.
The return lines from the injectors carry the air back to the pump.

Or you could have a failing primer pump, does it sweat diesel?

Yes I bled everything. I found that upon shutting down I could hear a slight hissing suction sound or something. It turns out that the return leakage pipe to its hose connection was somehow sucking in air. It's now good to go. I'll take it to work tomorrow to see how it goes. It's 130miles round trip. Will report after. I have a good feeling about this... Ha.

Took it to work today. Started right up in 25 degrees this morning. Black clouds of smoke are gone. I love this truck!

Last edited:
Ok, u guys ready for this? First mileage report. 25.2mpg!! Is this a mistake? I have to obviously measure again but my best mileage prior to rebuild was 17 or so mpg. Will report again.

Last edited:
25mpg = ~11L/100km

plausible.jpg

I'm hoping the mileage will stay like this. I have driven around 65 to 70mph so I assume the mileage can improve even more if I slow down below that. I'm actually quite happy with the findings so far, even if they are a bit premature.

Mongoose2231, Thank you for sharing your project. There is so much shared information on a great website from great people. I've learned alot through mistakes made, and trial and error.

Love the thread, especially the last pages specifically on the rebuild of the 2H. A couple of questions please...
1. Noted that you opted not to install a turbo (for now anyway). Reasoning makes sense. I read in another post that your 2H is slow to get up to speed, but am curious how well the 2H holds it's speed on longer hills? Are you in the far right lane with the heavily loaded semi's and your flashers on...or are you reasonably able to keep up with traffic?
2. Including machine work and the parts you had to buy (but not counting your labor) what is your ball-park estimate for the rebuild?
3. How is your fuel consumption now with some more miles on the engine?
Thankyou.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom