Out into the rain... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I could use advice on how to prep the wagon for spending a week out in the rain, after I just flaked a bunch of dried sealant from the rain gutters, etc.
Backstory: The wife's FJ100 has a cracked windshield that needed replacing. Safelight shows up, of course while I'm out of town for work for the week, pull the weather stripping, find rust, stop the job and tell us to call them back without replacing the stripping, now I have water infiltrating through the top of the windshield...
So, looks like the FJ100 is going to be taking the FJ60s space in the garage. I want Safelight to pull the windshield so I can assess the damage and get a few quotes from body shops. I'm a little concerned about putting the 60 out in the rain though since I literally just flaked a ton of the sealant off of the roof gutters in addition to some other projects that need the garage space. So my questions are about how to treat the rain gutters if I don't have time to do much to them: Should I remove the chrome trim? Would a car cover be complete overkill, or even make things worse by trapping moisture? should I try to remove as much of the old sealant as possible? Should I touch nothing and do a full reseal next week?
I'd appreciate any thoughts. I know it's a pretty basic question, but this TLC has no rust on the roof and I'd like to keep it that way, after seeing what some of you guys have had to deal with...
Thanks ,
-A

I'd definitely get a waterproof cover over it or a tarp. Just pull it off and let it breathe whenever the rain stops. I wouldn't rush on resealing the gutters since I think you'll definitely want to spend some time on that and do it right.

The 100 already has rust. Leave it out with a tarp.

Leave the 60 inside...
That would definitely be the ideal setup, I guess it depends on whether I'll need to keep the windshield off, I'm assuming it'll be spending at least a few days with the glass off and we live in town... And, too many teenagers in this neighborhood remind me of myself at that age. At least I can lock the doors on the 60.

No pics of your truck, so am guessing with out maybe enough info...but I'd say you are over worried. The rain gutters do need resealing at some point on all of the 60 series, but a week or more in the rain isn't going to make a difference. And anyway, it's a truck, not a family member. Take care of them first. The 60 will be fine.

Safe lite said the same thing to me. But they didnt pull the gasket or anything. It had a rust bubble and they didnt want to try it.

And anyway, it's a truck, not a family member. Take care of them first.
Well I can't argue with that... I promise that I take pains not to endanger my family when I work on my cars!
I guess I should add a little more background for why I'm asking this question: While I'm pretty mechanically minded there's a lot of automotive tasks I'm not familiar with. Add to that an infant (who I promise I'm taking good care of :) and my timeline for tackling these projects can get long, so it may well be this winter before I'm ready to do the full reseal. So the actual context of the question was that I don't want to do something dumb today and then find out 4 months from now that I trapped a bunch of water somewhere and made a bunch of work for myself.
Thanks to all for the feedback.
-A

I know this wasn't the most thrilling tale to show up on the forum, but I figured I'd close it out. Happy ending with the 100-series, got the rust mitigated and the windshield replaced yesterday, no need for the body shop, so we're in good shape and the 60 has her indoor parking spot back.
Introduction and windshield repair
If anyone needs a recommendation for a windshield tech in Tacoma, I've got the guy. Dude did fantastic work and answered all my questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom