Ordered 33x10.50x15's Can I run stock wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got them put on last night and having done about 20 miles I have decided I like the KM2s so far. Look good and don't scrub anything yet

Got them put on last night and having done about 20 miles I have decided I like the KM2s so far. Look good and don't scrub anything yet

Just reread your original post and realized you said you ordered 10.5" wide tires, not 12.5" wide. Yeah you shouldn't have any issues. For some reason I was thinking 12.5".

Not saying 8" is a bad width, just that narrow rims 6-8" protect the bead better than a 10".

I think stockers and 33x10.5 are a tried and true combo and would not hesitate in running them. An 7-8" rim might be a better choice but stockers look better and are cheap.

I understand you on the part about a 10 inch has less protection for the bead. Thanks for explaining a little more :)

Did I read correctly that you said a mini with a shell is not that different in weight? Last time at the dump scale my BJ ran about 5800 lbs, my 62 weighs even more than that. I doubt my 95 tacoma shortbed weighs more than 3500 soaking wet. You cant compare tires on a mini to a wagon.
Yes, I can. The Mini is loaded with normal trail gear and the 60 is not.
But all of that is besides the point. The 33-10.50 BFG A/T's on 8's have a flat tread. The 33-10.50 BFG A/T's on 7's are visibly crowned. When on 8's on the Mini I could run 30-32 psi and have a flat tread. On 7's I get full width wear at 23-24 psi, but the tread is still crowned where not in contact with the ground.

I run a 33-9.50 on a stock rim for the Mini's spare. That tire fits and looks like it is supposed to be on that rim.

BFG says the design rim width for the 33-10.50 tire size, both the A/T and the M/T, is 7" to 9"
All-Terrain T/A KO | BFGoodrich Tires
Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 | BFGoodrich Tires
I had every intention of replacing the 8's on my 60 with 7's until this experience with the crowning. I'll still be replacing them as those on the truck are too thin in the bead area (Enkei's), but I'll be buying 8's.

I am not planning on running stockers forever just until I can afford an 8 in wheel....classic II i think

Nothing Wrong with Stockers :)

Works just fine! :cheers:
IMG_1042.jpg
IMG_1039.jpg

I knew a guy that ran a 10.5 on his 15x6, two weeks later....dead

all kidding aside, I run that on my 62 without issue.

I've got '71 40 rims on the 62 with 33-10.5 and have had no problems. If I were to change this setup, I'd go with new gen Tacoma rims and a 285.

My main wheeling partner actually found a shop to mount BFG AT 12.50's on stock rims and they wore evenly. I can't believe he found a shop to do it.

Seems odd what your tires are doing but like you said it's whats happening to you. Do you wheel the rig a lot? I have found that I am tearing up the edges of my AT's pretty good.

Tony

Not rough wheeling but plenty of fire roads and desert/blm roads.

I really don't know what's up with this wear pattern, I'll get a photo up tomorrow (6/30/10). I'd blame alignment if it wasn't fairly evenly worn on both edges on all four tires.
js

Yes I obviously found a shop that didn't even look to see what size the stock rims were. SOME shops are more concerned about liability issues. Mounting a tire too wide for a given rim could result in trouble for the shop if the rim/tire fails and causes "loss"...The more rural (like here sorta) the less anybody gives a damn what you do to your rig...
js

Those of you that mention "stockers" are you talking about 15x6 or 15x7s? Mine are 15x6, it's imprinted on the inside of the rim. I want to go with 33x10.5x15 KM2s but don't want to crown the tire at road PSI. I think it's fine when I air down for trail driving. Thoughts?

messed up html, sorry see below

Last edited:
I've put about 55,000 miles on my 33x10.5 BFG ATs, on the stock rims. They've worn ok, but I have noticed some uneven tread wear at this point. To be fair, I've put a ton of miles on them, and the tires have done great.The stock rims bulge my tire, so the centers are more worn. This is at 35-40psi minimum.

I'm looking to buy some new 33x10.5 BFG ATs, but also looking to get a wider rim. If I can find a decent set locally, the tire savings will pay for the wheels over time. Plus, my stock wheels are looking a bit tired these days.

From the BFG website, info for a 33x10.5R15C tire. Rim width range 7"-9"

Load Index: 114
Speed Rating: R
Rim Width Range (Min/Max): 7"-9"
Section Width (on Measuring Rim Width) 10.6" on 8.%"
Overall Diameter: 32.7
Revs Per Mile: 636
Tread Depth (in 32nds): 16
Max Load Single (@PSI):
2620@50
Tire Weight: 45.81

Bandicoot, did you powdercoat or paint your rims? if you painted them, what did ya use? those look sweet!

Just my experience - I ran 33x12.5 MTs on the stock rims for two years. Worked fine. There was a lot of sidewall, but seemed to work fine.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom