1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

old gas

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by ScarboDP, Jun 7, 2003.

1. ScarboDP

ScarboDP

I have an aftermarket rear gas tank there has been gas in the tank for several months don't ask me why? so what should i do i don't think i should try to run it on that gas ... or is it ok? what should i do so i can use the tank again, drain it obviously, but does it need cleaning or anythign like that?

2. rusmannx

rusmannx

a buddy of mine just bought a cruiser that had been sitting for almost a year with a full tank. he put a new fuel filter in (just buy any filter that will connect to your hoses, don't buy some expensive filter to do the same job) and ran the tank out. after a couple of tanks since then (only had it 4 weeks) he has already had to change the filter, and i warned him to keep changing them until he gets a clean one.

generally, anything to big to get sucked in won't be a bother. the filter will do the rest.

now when i bought a used gas tank for my 40, i poured a gallon of gas in and had someone help me slosh it around then dump it out. and again and again i did this until i was pleased.

check to make sure the tank isn't rusted through, or about the rusted through. after all of that cleaning i ended up having to throw it away because it sprung a leak right after i had installed it.

hope this helps.

3. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

If it were me I would probably either get one of those kits mentioned in a earlier jerry can thread that cleans out the inside and then coats it, or take it to a radiator shop and have them boil/coat it. (search for "gerry can" if you want to find the old thread)