OK, so how do you get a bike into a high trailer all by yourself ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
OK, so call me a wuss, but I'm having trouble loading my bike in my trailer by myself.

Bike is 350-400 lbs.

Trailer floor is pretty high, over 2 ft I think.

I build a quick and dirty ramp with a couple of 2x8s but it's not working out too great as it's pretty short and so rather steep. But that's all I have for now.

I can't push it in very easily, too heavy and too steep.

The main problem is that if I power the bike up while standing on the side and holding on to the handlebar it'll go in partway but I'm left behind with my feet on the ground and climbing in will destabilize everything and it'll keel over.

I could ride it on the trailer but the chances of hitting the front wall are pretty high and then I have the same problem (keeling over) trying to get it down.

Damn, how do these guys get bikes in pick up trucks...?

That is not a fun job, this is what worked for me: find a ditch, a pile of dirt or small embankment to back up to so back of the trailer is closer to ground level and or the ramps won't be at such a steep angle. I also would build up steps out of what ever is available along side of the ramps so you can walk along side of the bike as you load it.

well, I have 2 narrowish ramps actually, I suppose I could try to walk on one and power up the bike on the other. Might need sides to be installed on the ramp though.

Just buy a good, wide aluminium ramp from your local dealership. You secure the ramp to the trailer via tie-downs and just push or ride it up. I never recommend powering the bike up because of the possible consequences. The risk of tipping over is too great.

Just buy a good, wide aluminium ramp from your local dealership. You secure the ramp to the trailer via tie-downs and just push or ride it up. I never recommend powering the bike up because of the possible consequences. The risk of tipping over is too great.

wide as in "the wheels and your feet both fit on the ramp" you mean?

I have a folding alloy ramp that is about 7-8ft long when in use. I drlled a hole in one end of the ramp and the trailer which I put a loose bolt through to hold it in place.
My ramp has sides on it to stop the wheels running off the sides and is about 8-9 inches wide

My trailer is also high since I put Landcruiser split rims on it ,so I use a plastic crate as a step as I run the bike up the ramp.
Being a Honda XR650L with some accessories,it weighs about 330-350lbs

An easy way would be to mount one of those little winches the quad/atv riders use onto the trailer;)

You can't ride onto a 2' high trailer? What happens if you need to ride the thing up a steep hill and pick a line? Do you push it up the hill?

Just man up and ride it :flipoff2:

You can't ride onto a 2' high trailer? What happens if you need to ride the thing up a steep hill and pick a line? Do you push it up the hill?

thats what i was thinkin- its a great way to work on your balance

yea, and you can even practice riding it in reverse afterwards too... :)

Ride it up.

Just make sure your ramps are secure. It sucks when the front wheel hits the bed and the back wheel spins the ramp out.

I got a 4' aluminum folding ramp pretty cheap. It's a bit steep, but not bad. Backing down is easy. You don't have to stop as quick.

If I can ride my 800 lb Valkyrie up on my trailer, you can ride a dirt bike on one.

I used to load my Polaris into my pickup in the ditch. Works good.

I carry a milk crate with me. Put crate next to ramp. Bike in first at end of ramp, 'drive' bike up while walking next to it, step on crate and then into the truck.

I use a piece of enginereed wood true-joist as a ramp, and back up against a sloped piece of my lot. I have seen people use heavy duty electrical wire tray as ramps as well. It helps to have a step next to the trailer (or in my case pick-up tailgate) to make getting yourself up onto the tailgate. If the bike runs I walk it with the motor doing the work, or else I take a run at it the bike doesn't run.

Ride it up.

Just make sure your ramps are secure. It sucks when the front wheel hits the bed and the back wheel spins the ramp out.

That's what I always worry about if I use something that isn't anchored to the trailer or truck somehow. The other thing about 2 x 8's is that they are inconsistent about the weight they bear. That will change as they dry out as well. Even though they are on the expensive side, a steel or aluminum ramp is a much better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom