Oil Leak - From Power Steering pump??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read some of the past threads on this and I did not find anything conclusive from my search. I have a small leak/seap that is accumulating on the bottom of this pump. I am also finding some on the bottom of the oil pan, again just a light coat of oil. I think it may be dripping down from the power stearing pump area and going to the lowest point on the motor, the pan.

I have looked carefully underneath and can't find where it could be coming from. I really do not think this is the pan arch as it looks very dry around this seam.

Can the bolts to the power steering pump leak engine oil? I really do think it is oil and not power steering fluid.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

I rebuilt mine about year ago. If you can wrench a few tools you could do it yourself. There are alot of little parts(shims etc.) in there. The first obvious leak is where it matches up to the block. The orange silicon oring could be the problem if its leaking there. If its leaking at either end it needs to be rebuilt or new one.
Crusierdan the parts guru should be able to get you the rebuild kit if you feel to rebuild it yourself. The FSM is neede for detailed disassembly.

Good luck..

AZCruiser, was yours leaking engine oil or power steering fluid? Mine appears to be leaking engine oil.

Thanks

Andrew

The only source for an engine oil leak would be the o-ring between the pump housing and the engine block. My bet is a PS fluid leak around the rear cover of the pump or the left-overs from messy oil changes.

D-

Ok, thanks. I am going to check more closely when I change the oil in a few weeks.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

Ok, I located the leak. It seems to be coming from a sensor that is just above the oil pan going into the block on the drivers side of the motor. The oil seems to be dripping slowing from the sensor seal where it is bolted to the block with 3 bolts. I checked the bolts and they appear to be tight. The power steering pump is leaking also but unrelated to this so C-Dan was correct again. :)

Is this the oil temp or level sensor? I tried looking this up in the FSM but I can't find anything on it (I have a hard time locating things in the FSM I miss my AllData). Is it as easy to replace as it looks (3 bolts)? If it is the oil level sensor it is working ok so it might just need a new gasket? Do you use sealant on this?

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

Last edited:
Hey Andrew.

If it's the oil level sensor, then there is a small O-ring gasket, where the sensor bolts into the side of the upper oil pan. Replacing that is about a minus 1 :banana: job. One place you can see this part is in parts diagram on EG-54 of the '97' FSM (Timing Chain Cover removal). The gasket is about $2. But there are 4 bolts holding this to the pan not 3, so make sure we're talking about the same thing. Just unbolt and gently wiggle the sensor out. You'll see the O-ring, just remove and replace, then torque back to factory specs.

:beer:
Rookie2

Edit: Also see EG-63 for a more descipt pic of the sensor and gasket. Also similar pics on EG-185 diagram (oil pump removal) and EG-193.

Frankly, I don't know where or if there's an oil temp sensor. Anyone?

Last edited:
Rookie2, is this the Lexus manual? I don't seem to have a EG section just a EM.

I may have missed a bolt but this is infront of the starter and behind the power steering pump. It is just a little below and behind the oil filter but it definately bolts into the upper pan.

Thanks

Andrew

Andrewsreef said:
Rookie2, is this the Lexus manual? I don't seem to have a EG section just a EM.

I may have missed a bolt but this is infront of the starter and behind the power steering pump. It is just a little below and behind the oil filter but it definately bolts into the upper pan.

Thanks

Andrew

Nope, sorry... I was referencing the poor man's version, LC FSM :D. Should be similar in the Lexus FSM. It's in the Engine section.

The part number for the o-ring is 90430-27001. Current list price is $1.35

D-

I had some leaking from the rear of the pump.
I removed a little atf from the reservoir. I think it was a little over full. The fluid was at the full mark, now its at the half full mark and no leaking, so far.

Ok, I know it has been a while but I just got around to changing the gasket on the oil level sensor. One queston about the sensor itself. Is it painted a dark color? At first I thought mine had burned oil on it but it appears to be a dark coating like paint. If it is not paint then it must be some coating caused by high temps from the prior owner. Just thought I would ask.

Thanks

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom