Odyssey Battery + custom Group 34 tray (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finished the first 2/3 of my dual battery setup today. So far:

• Odyssey Battery
  • Chassis Unlimited Group 34 battery tray
  • Blue Sea Systems - Circuit Breaker
  • Blue Sea Systems - Circuit Hub
  • Blue Sea Systems - Mega AMG Fuse Block

Next on the list is:

• Odyssey Battery
  • Chassis Unlimited Group 34 battery tray
  • Blue Sea Systems - Mega AMG Fuse Block
  • Blue Sea Systems - 7622 Automatic Charging Relay

Ps. The short red cable is going to the Mega AMG Fuse Block, which will be what is connected to the 7622 dual battery management system. On the other side of the car will be the same tray, battery and another Mega AMG Fuse Block that leads to the other side of the 7622 dual battery management system.

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

Where will you be placing the 2nd tray? other side of the rad? Is it easy to move that PS reservoir?

Yes, right on the opposite side. I saw a guide from someone else on IH8MUD who did it without very much trouble at all. Hope it's as easy as it looks. = D

I posted my step-by-step install using a Pirahna system from Australia. It's fairly straightforward, although it had to trim the PS reservoir bracket and move it out of the way. Also had to move the headlight component that was mounted smack dab in the middle of my battery spot. Here's the link to my install: https://forum.ih8mud.com/200-series-cruisers/530196-piranha-dual-battery-tray.html

I look forward to your updates and pictures (hint, hint).

I realized when checking my old post that I had linked to another site where the original install was posted. I've copied everything over to IH8MUD, so you can see the pictures without having to join the Expo forum (although there is some good stuff on that forum as well). Good luck!

I'd love to do this mod but I have the ARB compressor in that location. Slee did an install using stock location and stacked the batteries.
They only fab those trays upon order which means big $$$.

TJM 2nd battery try install 50% complete. Now I just got to figure out what to do with this heat sink thing... I just put some double sided tape on it and put it in the middle of the battery tray until I can figure out how to relocate it! The TJM battery tray went in easily and has a arm bracket for the reservoir.

IMG_4856.JPG

TJM 2nd battery try install 50% complete. Now I just got to figure out what to do with this heat sink thing... I just put some double sided tape on it and put it in the middle of the battery tray until I can figure out how to relocate it! The TJM battery tray went in easily and has a arm bracket for the reservoir.

Are you putting a switch inside or under the hood? In my disco 2 the switch is reachable from driver seat but in the LR3 we put is inside a hatch in the cargo area reachable from just inside the tailgate. The Disco2 is more likely to need combining for starting as it sits often (now has quick plug charger manager for 110v shore power though) however the LR3 has such a large 2nd battery I've only needed to combine it once after a full day of radio on and interior lights on while packing for a trip. Funny moment when you're all done, house locked,...go...and the car doesn't start ;) Luckily just go flip the combine switch and off you go. Silly though, after that some things got rewired to pull only from the 2nd battery and the auto-dome lamps on feature disabled. I've never had to combine them since and that was 7 yrs ago.

Lately I've wanted these kinds of things more readily accessible so under the hood or in the front dash area or my first choices, not potentially buried behind cargo, bikes, whatever. Even my on board air compressor is controlled under the hood along with the outlet and gauge, where the air line and chuck also stay in a pocket. (There's really a lot of extra room under an LR3 hood. My jumper cables and spare Qt of oil have spots in there too!)

I went with the PC2150 battery but am probably close to replacing the starter battery and the 1500 could be good size for that, or even the PC1350 which I have sitting here thinking it would go into the BMW.

Your photos are great for people to see and get ideas!

Ok, got it all worked out. The heat sink can be easily bolted to the side wall by drilling two small holes and attaching to the wall. The other cool benefit is it is actually supported laterally by a lip in the left side (look to left of black bolt) and the bracket mount for the air box on the right side. Literally, a perfect fit. Go TJM! Battery tray was like $50 bucks if I recall... though it did take 4 months to get here...

Now all I need is:
  • Blue Sea Systems - 7622 Automatic Charging Relay
  • 2nd Odyssey Battery

IMG_4860.jpg

Looking good!

I wish Mr. T and his engineers had put the power steering reservoir somewhere else from the get go. I found relocating it to be the biggest PITA of the entire dual battery install.

Ok, so after relocating my heat sink to the firewall, it was sitting a bit too close to the wires for my front right side blinkers. Problem solved using Rescue Tape, which is heat resistant up to 500 degrees. Its really cool stuff because it is a silicone based tape that fuses to itself, and leaves no residue when you remove it (which requires cutting it off).

IMG_4934.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

Could you fit the standard size battery in the aux battery tray? I'm just curious why you went with the group 34 battery instead of the stock 27F size.

Usually the reason is for longer run time/amp hours. Most starter batteries do not have comparatively long deep cycle time compared to their high cca.

The Odyssey is a much superior battery than the OEM in regards to cold cranking, amps, cycles, no lead, etc. It's basically one of the best batteries you can buy. The Sears Platinum Marine is a rebadged Odyssey, but with slightly lower stats. The only problem with the Sears is that they do not have it in reverse terminal.

Plus my daughter's favorite color is orange. = D

The Odyssey is a much superior battery than the OEM in regards to cold cranking, amps, cycles, no lead, etc. It's basically one of the best batteries you can buy. The Sears Platinum Marine is a rebadged Odyssey, but with slightly lower stats. The only problem with the Sears is that they do not have it in reverse terminal.

Plus my daughter's favorite color is orange. = D

Thanks, was the group 34 battery tray necessary, or could you have user shorter j hooks to fit it in the factory tray? Also, did you get a second group 34 tray for the aux or did it fit the TJM tray with no modifications?

P.S. I am about to copy your exact setup in my LX, it looks great. I don't understand why more cars don't come factory with dual batteries. I know some diesel trucks due, but that is only to provide enough juice to turn over the engine and the batteries aren't separated.

Hi, here is a link to the full build: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/dual-battery-install-complete.807973/

The TJM is designed for a Group 34 so no modifications were necessary. I did replace my OEM battery tray with a Group 34 battery tray... wasn't hard at all.

In the future I will be running a cable from the auxiliary battery to the rear of the truck for my fridge.

screen-shot-2014-06-03-at-3-49-12-pm-png.903876

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom