Nitro Upper Control Arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So funny I was just trying to figure this same thing out thanks for posting up your experience. I will probably need to replace my old style Nitro UCAs soon and have been looking at the Blackhawk/Dobinson/Nitro option. I reached out to Mill Creek Overland who is a US supplier of the Blackhawk units and he wasn’t totally sure since he said they haven’t yet had to replace a ball joint in their shop on these arms (good sign), but he though it was the 100/200/GX unit which reassured me since it’s probably a better part than what’s in the Tundras. FYI the Blackhawk units are super cheap compared to Nitro and especially to Dobinson.

I think Nitros are even cheaper than the Blackhawks right now on Bumper Superstore. I guess its nice to just but whatevers cheapest if theyre all the same. Nitro Gear & Axle NPUCA-TLC100 Extended Travel Ball Joint Style and Upper Control Arms for Toyota Land Cruiser 1998-2007 | Bumper Superstore - https://bumpersuperstore.com/i-23979338-nitro-gear-axle-npuca-tlc100-extended-travel-ball-joint-style-and-upper-control-arms-for-toyota-land-cruiser-1998-2007.html?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADs9UCdL3IQAkL1TVhOTN1hL3KCyr

Turns out Nitro and Dobinsons arent exactly the same….
IMG_7425.jpeg

Nitro
IMG_7426.jpeg

Dobinsons
IMG_7427.jpeg

Could be a matter of different production periods.

Magna Steyr produces cars for Peugot, BMW, Jaguar, Toyota and others in the same location.
LGIT manufactures cameras for Samsung, Apple, Tesla, German brands partially in the same factories.

All that doesn't mean it's the same as they typically manufacture based on the customers requirements ;) See the same comments for winches and other parts where people say "made in the same factory in China"....

@Ma son did you end up bailing on the Nitro arms for the Dobinson's? I'm trying to figure out what to order for my truck between Nitro, Dobinson, SPC, and OEM and am totally stuck. The cost of Dobinson doesn't seem worth it since SPC is only a couple hundred more and gives a lot more adjustability. Did you have a premature failure of the Nitro ball joint?

@Ma son did you end up bailing on the Nitro arms for the Dobinson's? I'm trying to figure out what to order for my truck between Nitro, Dobinson, SPC, and OEM and am totally stuck. The cost of Dobinson doesn't seem worth it since SPC is only a couple hundred more and gives a lot more adjustability. Did you have a premature failure of the Nitro ball joint?
I did. For twice the price, I'm not sure its worth the money to go with Dobinsons. I switched because I dont want to give Nitro or DPI my money ever again. :flipoff2: Plus, I can get 555 ball joints from Cruiser Outfitters to my door in 2 days. No more greasing ball joints either. Personally, I'd go with either Nitro or Dobinsons depending on what you can afford. I chose not to go with SPC because of price and questionable ball joint longevity. I cannot think of any reason you would need the additional adjustability the SPC arms provide. We arent doing massive lifts on these rigs. You can get the vehicle properly aligned using any of the tubular UCAs with 3degrees of caster built in.

The only failure I had with the Nitros was the boot. They didnt sell the boots alone and I had been driving offroad alot with the exposed joint and decided it would be smart to replace. The other arm's BJ was untorn and still seemed to be in great shape when I removed it to replace the arms. I definitely don't think they are bad arms, Nitro and DPI just suck as a company.

I’ve got one with older Nitro UCAs (urethane bushings, & ball joint), one with older SPC UCAs, and one with Trail Tailor UCAs. All of the options that I have are roughly equivalent.

Between Nitro & Dobinsons, I’d lean Dobinsons,mainly due to level of service.

SPC is the most adjustable, but with the limited amount of lift available, I question if it is actually necessary.

@TRAIL TAILOR UCAs are not a stock item, but I believe that Jason does do batches every now and then. Of the different UCA options that I’ve had, these are my favorite. I have 2 spare sets, just waiting for the next time I have to tear into the suspension of the SPC and/or Nitro vehicles.

I switched because I dont want to give Nitro or DPI my money ever again. :flipoff2:
Couldn’t agree more, mainly for orphaning the UCAs that I have, with no apparent source for replacement bushings.

I’ve got one with older Nitro UCAs (urethane bushings, & ball joint), one with older SPC UCAs, and one with Trail Tailor UCAs. All of the options that I have are roughly equivalent.

SPC is the most adjustable, but with the limited amount of lift available, I question if it is actually necessary.

@TRAIL TAILOR UCAs are not a stock item, but I believe that Jason does do batches every now and then. Of the different UCA options that I’ve had, these are my favorite. I have 2 spare sets, just waiting for the next time I have to tear into the suspension of the SPC and/or Nitro vehicles.

Couldn’t agree more, mainly for orphaning the UCAs that I have, with no apparent source for replacement bushings.
Thanks for your input. Nitros are on crazy sale right now and since their BJs and bushings are OEM size I'm not thinking we'll likely need help from Nitro in the future on this. However the Blackhawk UCAs which should be very similar if not identical to Dobinson/Nitro are only a little more expensive from Mill Creek Overland who so far has been great at answering my questions so that may be the best of all worlds. $300 cheaper than Dobinson.

I always try and take the "buy once cry once" approach to most things, but not when I can't see a clear reason for the higher cost.

Reactions: jLB

Thank you,

I have a batch in the works now.

Jason
TT

Thanks for your input. Nitros are on crazy sale right now and since their BJs and bushings are OEM size I'm not thinking we'll likely need help from Nitro in the future on this. However the Blackhawk UCAs which should be very similar if not identical to Dobinson/Nitro are only a little more expensive from Mill Creek Overland who so far has been great at answering my questions so that may be the best of all worlds. $300 cheaper than Dobinson.

I always try and take the "buy once cry once" approach to most things, but not when I can't see a clear reason for the higher cost.
Blackhawk and Nitro are the same. Buy whichever is cheaper if thats the route youre going to go!

Thank you,

I have a batch in the works now.

Jason
TT
When will these be ready Jason? I'm not in a huge rush but want to get my front end work done before wheeling season is in full swing. Would MUCH rather give you my money than any of these other companies. Also does your arm also have the 3 degree extra caster built in?

Looking at 6-8 week lead currently. I have 16 sets promised and a 20 set batch this run.

3 degrees built in. Most are coming out of alignment shops with 2.5-3.5 correction with 2-3" lifts.

My arms are 100% rebuildable by me or secondary USA suppliers as well.

Jason

Last edited:
Reactions: jLB
When will these be ready Jason? I'm not in a huge rush but want to get my front end work done before wheeling season is in full swing.
If we could work out a deal, where I would be made whole… I might be willing to trade some black TT UCAs today, for some red TT UCAs in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom