New to me 1977 FJ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I am new to MUD and to the FJ community. I have probably wanted an FJ 40 since I saw my 1st one when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. I have been drooling over these online for the last 10 years. I was medically retired from the Army in April 2022 and a few months ago my wife told me I needed to find a hobby, so I took advantage of that and found a 1977 FJ 40 and made it my hobby. It’s not like some of the incredible builds that I have seen here on MUD that needed everything, but I now have a small list of upgrades I want to do. Power steering, EFI, electrical upgrade/repairs, fix the fuel system (PO made changes to it), finish the interior, fix the brake system, and maybe add some AC. I know there is more, but I have time.

The day I drove her home put a big smile on my face and was so much fun. I want to thank @torfab and all of the guys in Everett for doing a pre purchase inspection and storing the FJ there until I was able to make it there. Looking forward to taking her back up there to get some work done and doing some myself. As you will see in the pictures there are things that are obviously wrong (can you find it?) but it’s my new hobby so that’s ok.

Jose
41388.jpeg

Bezel police have been alerted! Looks great. Congrats. Welcome to the addiction/hobby.

Welcome to Mud! I did the same thing when I retired 4 (!) years ago. Now go out there and flip that bezel. It’ll probably open a can of worms and turn into an all day project 😆. Then post some more pics and history.

Congratulations and thanks for your service!

There are a ton of great builds out there on the forum that have been tremendously helpful for me over the years and sounds like you have aligned with some good Cruiser folks and one of the best shops.

Read @wngrog ‘s build threads, he has completed several 40’s in the past few years that are very similar builds to what you have as a goal. His work and attention to detail are freakin’ amazing and his posts are very thorough with good pictures!

As you will see in the pictures there are things that are obviously wrong (can you find it?)..
Yeah, the wheels are black! :flipoff2: Looks like a nice one, and I approve of yours plans for this 40. :cheers:

I have put the bezel on upside down too, but noticed it exposed the hood release and flipped it back to the right side up.

Using FJ60 or FJ80 power steering is a little invasive but it cleans up the poor steering configuration of the FJ40. There are to many moving parts with it's current steering. I have a 1978 and it was my daily driver from the time I drove it off the lot in the summer of 78 until I totaled it in 91. It use to take me 2 days to drive from Green River, WY to Portland or Vancouver, WA when I would go up there for work. It will get caught in the ruts left by the semis on the interstate and you are fighting it all the time.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. Enjoy every minute

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom