new guy+fj40+PS=?????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did this, and the TSL has significantly less actual rubber to ground contact. The old Yokohama Super Diggers were a AT/MT type tread and since they were quite worn they had quite a bit of surface contact. The funny thing is that the 31's were 11.5's, but the TSL's are 12.5's yet outside to outside tread width at road pressure is greater on the 31's. The TSL's really do turn much much easier, despite being classified as a larger tire. They just wear a good deal faster. I ran those Yoko's that were already probably 10 years old for a year of DD and there was no discernible wear. Very interesting since the normal assumption would be larger, more aggressive tires would be more difficult to steer.
The other odd thing is that my ride has significantly improved with the 33's versus the 31's. ??? (same pressure)

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=5103;start=msg40310#msg40310 date=1063298950]
The other odd thing is that my ride has significantly improved with the 33's versus the 31's. ??? (same pressure)
[/quote]

Maybe more air volume and flexier sidewalls are working in concert to absorb more shock??

Thats probably it. With the large amounts of grippy rubber contact the old 31's had, I was forced to keep them at maximum pressure if I wanted to be able to get around a parking lot, this meant a very rough ride even with an all new suspension. The new tires have significantly less pavement contact and therefore don't have to be quite so hard in terms of air pressure, and since they are taller I guess sidewalls are flexing easier.
Thats my theory. :D

There is also more "tread squirm" with the newer, more aggressive tire. Tread squirm is the treads ability to flex and deform in relation to the tires carcass. This also helps a tire overcome, or at least lessen the effects of, undesirable scrub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom