1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needed: 4 Speed Tranny rebuild info

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Rice, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Hi all. Am about to acquire a 4 speed tranny (77 FJ40) to rebuild and have for when my current one comes out. I've found a couple of rebuild kits online but none give indications of quality, i.e. best bearings, synchros, and such. If you've found a high quality kit that you believe in would be great hearing from you. Thanks!

2. Chef

Chef

Stock bearings are usually koyo, or at least another japanese name brand. Man-a-fre, and Heart of Texas Offroad both sell good wuality kits, as does Rick Donnelly. Rick, you out there?

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    The rebuild kit from SOR contains Koyo bearings as well.

4. rick_d

rick_d

..I am no longer supplying parts and I endorse robert at heart of texas for most things like these kits. Synchros are not normally included and the aftermarket suck- so buy OEM. The downside is kitting etc a 4sp (H42, 3.55:1 first) is a money looser. If you must have a 4sp Toyota do so, otherwise consider a gm 4sp or H55 upgrade (H41's are far too rare).

Find a better used 4sp with less miles/wear- should be under $100.

5. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

I second the suggestion of just getting a good used one. It is a money loser and they are a PITA to rebuild because of the ball bearing on the front of the counter shaft requires a special puller or a lot of patience and the BFH.