1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need an education on Birfields

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cmilliron, Jan 24, 2003.

1. cmilliron

cmilliron

I have posted a picture of my Birfield at the following link....

http://home.attbi.com/~cmilliron/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-539612.html

First I would like to Identify the Model-style....

and I have a bunch more questions:

1.  If the are different lengths of outer axles, can they be interchangeable?  
    2.  Does the length demand a different hub type? mine is a stock looking ASCO
    3.  Is there a "longfield" replacement for the one I have?
    4.  Is the Londfield the best way to go?, I am going to put an ARB in the front...

2. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    < post my email reply here and make sure I'm right...lol - don't make me retype it! :D >

I should really measure the differences this weekend....<note to self>....I intend to be in the garage on Sat, unless my plans go to crap (which they seem to do frequently, lately....)

3. cmilliron

cmilliron

Hey Brian....  spoke with Bobby Long today at Longfields... he thinks that I'm running late model LC birs based on the length 9 3/4"-9 7/8"...  the pickup birs are 9 1/2"...  he suggests converting to the pickup style Longfields as they are stronger and better material than the LC...

In doing this, the outter hub snap ring cannot be used, but a bolt into the end of the axle with a fender washer to keep it from drifting in is the way to go...

Is this what you did...???

Cliff

4. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    exactly what I did....

you will need the grind out the inside of your knuckles to get the later birfs or the longs to fit, but that's an "easy" process, and you any 78-older disc front axle owner should do anyways to prep for interchangability.

5. MD11Fr8Dog

MD11Fr8Dog CM09 Eight Ball winner

Or you can get some mini hubs like I did and you won't need the washer technique. You'll need to grind out the inside of the knuckles a little bit, or convert to mini knuckles. Here's a pic that speaks for itself!
    [​IMG]

6. cmilliron

cmilliron

I'm sending a money order to Bobby Long today for a set of Mini-truck longfields.... I think I am going to keep my cruiser hubs, that way I can utilize the mini-truch longfields (with a washer) and use my existing 1977 LC birfields with a snap ring.... I appreciate everyone's help on sorting all this birfield stuff out... BTW, Bobby Long told me that he has replaced only 15 Longfields out of 1700 sold.