Nauset Vs. Sandyneck ORV Beach Permits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figured i'd throw this up for those who have or have had these permits. This year I'm going to purchase a ORV beach pass at either Nauset or Sandyneck, and I was wondeing which one was better. Aisde from the 16 dollar price difference (196 for nauset 180) for Sandyneck, is there a discernible difference in experience from one beach to the other?

1. Which beach is closed more often?
2. Is one more crowded than the other?

I understand you need the jack, towline, etc so thats not an issue. I'm just looking for a spot thats not overrun with fools and a place where I can get the most out of my pass. (Seeing as those stupid birds cause the beaches to close every year)

Any input would be great!

Last edited:
I learned how to drive on Nauset beach in my Grandfathers 1952 Willies! Nauset would be my choice, however I have no experience with Sandyneck. I think its a complete gamble with the piping plovers...no real chance of predicting where they will nest.

Where are you coming from? If you're coming from the mainland, Nauset is a haul for a day trip. The traffic on RT 6 can be absolutely brutal during the summer.

I learned how to drive on Nauset beach in my Grandfathers 1952 Willies! Nauset would be my choice, however I have no experience with Sandyneck. I think its a complete gamble with the piping plovers...no real chance of predicting where they will nest.

Where are you coming from? If you're coming from the mainland, Nauset is a haul for a day trip. The traffic on RT 6 can be absolutely brutal during the summer.

I'm coming from 495, more or less by gillitte stadium. The birds make everything a gamble. I know sandyneck is close, just Leary of it being a parking lot/waste of money. I've heard the scenery at Nauset is much better.

By any chance do you have any pics? And is Nauset available to drive year round (with the exception of weather birds and tides of course)?

I'm not sure if it's open year round to the OSV permit holders. Years ago it had a season...closed during the winter, though no one would hassle you as long as you were "fishing". I would call and ask. Nauset is scenic, but can be susceptible to tides and Plover activity. Any of the OSV permitted beaches will get pretty busy during the summer, though you'll always find a spot to park as they limit the number of permits based on max capacity of the beach.

Don't have any recent photos...sorry...

I'm coming from 495, more or less by gillitte stadium. The birds make everything a gamble. I know sandyneck is close, just Leary of it being a parking lot/waste of money. I've heard the scenery at Nauset is much better.

By any chance do you have any pics? And is Nauset available to drive year round (with the exception of weather birds and tides of course)?

My wife had a sticker for Nauset a few years back. The weekends are a major gamble. Between the traffic and the plovers it's hard to justify the drive down there. I remember getting down there on a Saturday morning around 9:00am and they said it was full. We could wait up at the Orleans VFW until someone left. Waited for about an hour.

It's a beautiful beach ride but you will hate to do the Bourne bridge on a Saturday morning only to have to turnaround to come back.
If your renting a place for a couple of weeks then grab your fishing poles and do it. Rumor has it that there was major beach erosion. So stickers will be limited.

My wife had a sticker for Nauset a few years back. The weekends are a major gamble. Between the traffic and the plovers it's hard to justify the drive down there. I remember getting down there on a Saturday morning around 9:00am and they said it was full. We could wait up at the Orleans VFW until someone left. Waited for about an hour.

It's a beautiful beach ride but you will hate to do the Bourne bridge on a Saturday morning only to have to turnaround to come back.
If your renting a place for a couple of weeks then grab your fishing poles and do it. Rumor has it that there was major beach erosion. So stickers will be limited.

Looks like I might buy into sandyneck then as its closer, my best friend lives in mashpee so it's not a total lost if I can't get in. Just lookin' to get some good beach drivin' in, the with the occasional campfire

wow didn't realize they deny people when it's FULL. bummer.

I live in Sandwich and every year we get the Sandy Neck Sticker. I'm on the edge this year. The birds shut down so much of both beaches for so much of the summer, its almost...almost not worth it. I know Nauset was closed totally last year for about six weeks. Plovers nested on the road going out to the beach. Last year Sandy Neck was only open .4 miles for much of the summer. Very rocky in the beginning area and its like going to a parking lot. High Tide is a good time to get to know your neighbors as you pretty much sit on top of each other. If you are only coming down on weekends to use either beach I wish you luck. I avoid the weekends as much as possible. As far as beach erosion, the last few years have hit hard on all the beaches. They dredged the canal this year and used a lot of the sand on sandy neck. That is why the trucks and dozers.

I live in Sandwich and every year we get the Sandy Neck Sticker. I'm on the edge this year. The birds shut down so much of both beaches for so much of the summer, its almost...almost not worth it. I know Nauset was closed totally last year for about six weeks. Plovers nested on the road going out to the beach. Last year Sandy Neck was only open .4 miles for much of the summer. Very rocky in the beginning area and its like going to a parking lot. High Tide is a good time to get to know your neighbors as you pretty much sit on top of each other. If you are only coming down on weekends to use either beach I wish you luck. I avoid the weekends as much as possible. As far as beach erosion, the last few years have hit hard on all the beaches. They dredged the canal this year and used a lot of the sand on sandy neck. That is why the trucks and dozers.

Jack I know that they say the pass is good from April 15 - April 15. But After the summer months do you know if they still actually let you cruise on the beach? I'm close enough to justify driving down to enjoy a breezy day in the fall or winter just to hang out.

Jack I know that they say the pass is good from April 15 - April 15. But After the summer months do you know if they still actually let you cruise on the beach? I'm close enough to justify driving down to enjoy a breezy day in the fall or winter just to hang out.

The Sandy Neck one is good all year. We go all the time. Kit flying is great this time of year! They close it during storms and extreme high tides. I am not sure how the Nauset one works, but I assume it is the same. I see postings from that beach too on cape based group websites. The sandy neck gate house people are nice and receptive to questions. Stop in and ask away! They list out the vehicle requirements and equipment list on their website. Pretty typical stuff they are looking for. They also announce closures and such on their site. Just stay off the dunes no matter what time of year it is and leave glass bottles at home....:) Have fun!

Just wanted to post an update here, I went with the sandyneck sticker. Really a fantastic beach

It's been open all year with the birds, even at the peak nesting times. The only weekend I couldn't get on was the 4th of July, because I came down late (P.S. Don't waste your time going to the cape for the holiday weekend anyway, traffic was worse than NYC on thanksgiving).

If anyone is on the edge, make the jump. The Shack has WIFI and food, and free warm showers. So far I've been the only Land Cruiser, and I'm there just about every weekend. Cheers

image.jpeg

Awesome! We did end up getting the sticker this year. We've been out a few times and its been great! We usually go mid-week though and I got the sticker for our 4runner rather than the LC this year. They definitely had much more beach open this year, which has been nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom