My new BMW E46 seats! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While looking for info for my vortec conversion, I stumbled into a thread on seats, so what the heck, I looked on ebay to see what was around, and I found a nice set of tan E46 seats local! They aren't leather, and have a couple of small cracks that I think can be repaired, but the nice thing is they're manual!

I used Torfab's brackets. Perfect fit, no muss - no fuss, really easy install!

The tan looks great with my brown/tan interior.

To bad I can't drive it for a while...

image_zpsgrr9gygy.jpeg

Pick not pulls. I paid 35 each for my power seats, I see lots of manual but prefer power, it's just 2 wires.

yeah manual operation and good condition seats would be the best option....but either way big improvement over stock

Depends on what you want and what you have access to. You would be damned lucky to find a nice set of seats at the local pickapart here in Monrovia. The only cars that land here are high mileage beaters. Mostly E36's are available, I don't remember ever seeing an E46.

From experience, I wouldn't bother with E36 power seats. The drive gear that controls the backrest tilt is prone to failure. My daughter has one and it failed. The part is NLA, but you can get it from yards that specialize in BMW parts.

As far as power seats go, I have them in my M6. You expect them in a car like that, but I've never once ever thought it would be nice to have power seats in any of my other cars. I prefer the simplicity of manual, and it's actually quicker to adjust the seat after my wife or daughters drive my cars. Now, power windows, that's a different story...

Could anyone with the torfab seat brackets advise the distance apart that the mounting holes are that attach to the seat please?
I would like to fit bmw X3 seats that are black, cloth and manual adjustment but have 455mm spacing accross the seat runners. Not sure how that compares to an E46
Many thanks, ben

Could anyone with the torfab seat brackets advise the distance apart that the mounting holes are that attach to the seat please?
I would like to fit bmw X3 seats that are black, cloth and manual adjustment but have 455mm spacing accross the seat runners. Not sure how that compares to an E46
Many thanks, ben
You could just try calling Tor @torfab and see if he will give you the information on bracket distances. Or shoot him a PM on here he is usually pretty active.

While looking for info for my vortec conversion, I stumbled into a thread on seats, so what the heck, I looked on ebay to see what was around, and I found a nice set of tan E46 seats local! They aren't leather, and have a couple of small cracks that I think can be repaired, but the nice thing is they're manual!

I used Torfab's brackets. Perfect fit, no muss - no fuss, really easy install!

The tan looks great with my brown/tan interior.

To bad I can't drive it for a while...

image_zpsgrr9gygy.jpeg

I'm going to revive this. Do you feel like your BMW seats sit lower or higher? Yours look like they sit lower. Mine have new SOR seat pads and sit really high. Would love to be 2-3 inches lower.

You could just try calling Tor @torfab and see if he will give you the information on bracket distances. Or shoot him a PM on here he is usually pretty active.
I did PM but unfortunately the reply was inconclusive. I will need to measure accross the centre of the front bolt holes on each seat runner to see if the e46 seats are the same width as the x3 seats

I did PM but unfortunately the reply was inconclusive. I will need to measure accross the centre of the front bolt holes on each seat runner to see if the e46 seats are the same width as the x3 seats
Good news, the X3 seats have the same footprint as the E46 seats. So will give @torfab a call and see if I can get a set of brackets shipped to UK

These are manual and vinyl with Torfab brackets. Comfortable and easy to install. There are a couple considerations that deal with getting in them.

First the long rails can be a hazard when the seat is pushed back. My kid hit her ankle on them getting in and I hit mine climbing out. I have also hit my knee on the dimmer switch twice since the install. I’m worried more about the dimmer than my knee. Once in them, the seats are great with a wide range of positions.

Second, I used to store my fire extinguisher under the seat. With this setup it doesn’t fit. Once again the rails get in the way.

5A02BEF2-6C0E-459B-B9AF-5514D8D2AC26.jpeg
31B96E33-8BBA-4025-94E2-62E9BAF76970.jpeg

There are rail caps/covers out there. Seen some on SOR for the factory seats.

These are manual and vinyl with Torfab brackets. Comfortable and easy to install. There are a couple considerations that deal with getting in them.

First the long rails can be a hazard when the seat is pushed back. My kid hit her ankle on them getting in and I hit mine climbing out. I have also hit my knee on the dimmer switch twice since the install. I’m worried more about the dimmer than my knee. Once in them, the seats are great with a wide range of positions.

Second, I used to store my fire extinguisher under the seat. With this setup it doesn’t fit. Once again the rails get in the way.

View attachment 1638544 View attachment 1638543

Hi, Everyone probably knows this but ; Specter sells replacement bottom cushion for the 60-62 series. They are modern foam and well made. They are very comfortable and easy too install and you can dry clean your fabric at the same time. One set of the Specter cushions has been in my fj60 for 20 plus years and is like new. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom