My m416 refurb and build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ntsaint

Don't Assume I Know The Basics...
SILVER Star
Threads
Picked this gem up a few weeks ago. In decent shape, but needed a new floor. Price reflected that tho so I was happy.

Day of pickup
image.jpeg

After getting it home, popped off th fenders and took all the tub bolts out, then strapped the tub down to frame for the trip to the sandblasting shop the next day. Had access to a big rig for a few days, all I had to bring was sand.

image.jpeg

Sandblasting took 3 hours and 20 bags of media. And man it was hot. But got everything cleaned up, and drug it back home to the shop.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So, plans going forward:

1. Fab up an extended tongue (prob 3" square tube) so that my 100 series rear swing out will open. Think I will need at least 36" of extension there.

2. Decide whether to go with a LockNRide hitch or a normal ball hitch. Leaning toward normal for now, because I will use the trailer for other stuff.

3. New floor and patches on bottom tub edges. Gonna get a local fab shop to cut all this for me, then I will weld in. Forgot to mention, just learning to weld. Don't make fun of my beads :)

4. Frame up, brace, and cut a tailgate. Gotta have it.

5. Make the call on how to mount th RTT. I would like to get it above the trailer rails enough to be able to use the tent annex room. Not too tall tho. Maybe need 18".

6. Tires. BFG. Plus new shocks (Napa)

7. Spray on gloss black enamel on frame and suspension. Spray on Berliner on tub.

8. Wire it up.

9. Use it :)

Looking good.
Just my 2 cents of information, when I did my floor which was a large flat sheet of steel (forgot the gage) and I had the shop bend both side down and the fronts up with a 3/4 lip area and then due to not having a spot welder at the time I drilled 1/4" holes every 3" all around and with the trainer upside down welded every hole from the inside, basically spot welded then seam sealed every thing from the inside then Rhino Lined. Paint on some weld primer so the welds areas do not rust if you try this.
Will last a very long time.
Good luck

Good info, thanks!

Pulled the hubs today, mixed bag of results. 3 of 4 races are fine, 1 of 4 bearings are shot. Both inner hub seals are shot.

I would guess I can get these at a parts house? Anyone have experience here?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Also cleaned up parking brake and housings. All looks and works ok in here, but I will need a new cable.

Before
image.jpeg

After
image.jpeg

Awesome, thx.

I ordered some timken bearings/races and a National Auto seal that all cross reference. Will see if they work out. Should be here for Tuesday.

Shocks painted, wheels painted, and hubs cleaned and painted. Bearings and seals should be here Tuesday.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Nice Work. Will be fun watching your progress. On the floor - nothing a little bondo won't cover! Had my M101CDN out of the garage yesterday prepping it for the fall camping season - finally cooling off enough here in CA. You'll love the size of the M416. My vote on hitch would be the lock n roll if you are both on and off road.

Before quitting today I also welded in some supports in the center of the frame. New floor won't have the ridges in it for support, so thought this was necessary.

These are my first welds. Learning on this project. I thought my flat welds turned out ok but my verticals are garbage. Gonna grind those off, practice on scrap and try again.

IMG_6487.JPG
IMG_6488.JPG

Dropping off at fab shop Monday to get my floor cut and tacked in.

Little more progress today. Got the new drawbar fabbed up and mocked up. Headed to get drill bits and bolts. Gonna bolt it in then weld. Hope to do that later tonight.

IMG_6556.JPG

Finished up the new drawbar and cut out the old floor. Headed to the fab shop tomorrow for a new floor.

IMG_6571.JPG
IMG_6572.JPG
IMG_6573.JPG
IMG_6578.JPG
IMG_6579.JPG

Looking good! I might suggest, but I tend to over build, that you weld on a triangle plate to where the tongue meets the front of the frame extension. It would also make a good place to mount accessories.

Toss a piece of plywood in the back for a temp floor, drop a couple bags of sand/gravel/fertilizer/salt/whatever, in it (leave the stuff in the bag!) and take it out on the e-way to see how it handles with some weight on. If it's not waggin' like a dogs tail, you're good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom