My homemade rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A little over a year ago I removed the factory chrome bumpers. I couldn't stand them, and they were a little bent up too. So I ran without them ever since. Any way with the help of my uncle and his welder and cutting torch, we went to work. I bought 12ft of 6" C channel and 5ft 3"x.5" flat bar. We had to cut the "ears" off the frame so I could use the existing holes for a mounting location. I also cut two of the rivets that hold the body mount to the frame.

CIMG0268.jpg

We cut and mounted the bar; drug the C channel over and marked it.

CIMG0269.jpg

CIMG0271.jpg

Started cutting some notches in it so I could get it to wrap around.

CIMG0273.jpg

We noticed we were pretty close to the body and the Line-x.. Oops.. :rolleyes:

CIMG0280.jpg

Soo this was our fix. :idea:

CIMG0276.jpg

But we got the bends in pretty close.

CIMG0277.jpg

Got the other side done up. Pulled the bumper off, welded and ground smooth.

CIMG0284.jpg

CIMG0286.jpg

CIMG0289.jpg

We thought we just about had it. Turns out we bent the wrap arounds in a little too much and would rub the body. But after a lot of cutting and grinding later we got it to fit pretty well.

CIMG0296.jpg

CIMG0297.jpg

CIMG0294.jpg

For only having a tape measure laid maybe four times I think it turned out alright. It's not perfect by any means. But let me know what ya'll think!

:beer:

Looks pretty solid!

Did you weld both sides of your d-ring tabs?

Stout! :grinpimp:. Your truck looks just like mine, color and bedliner, except I went up and filled in the license plate area too.

-Carl

looks like you put in alot more work than you did. first rate bumper

Looks pretty solid!

Did you weld both sides of your d-ring tabs?

No, we were only able to do the outside. But we did several passes, hopefully that makes up for it.

looks like you put in alot more work than you did. first rate bumper

Well it took two days to build it. And it took a while to get it "just right." But thanks!

I'm all about the "Home-made"

Nice job.

WELL DONE looks great :cheers:

nice work!

one suggestion: put a flat piece on the top of the rear bumper, to avoid rockes getting thrown into the bottom of the rear tailgate. it won't take long for the chips and rust to appear back there...

Hmm... It looks like you have one of the coveted Inti roof racks. Where did you get it?

I got it a couple of years ago from la cabra 4x4

Solid job :D

Any chance you could get a pic of the bar to chassis mounting points?

I just looked through my pics and did not see any. I'll get a few this weekend and post them up for ya. All I did was use the existing holes from where the "horn" and body mount attaches to the frame. 5, 1/2" bolts did the job on each side.

nice work!

one suggestion: put a flat piece on the top of the rear bumper, to avoid rockes getting thrown into the bottom of the rear tailgate. it won't take long for the chips and rust to appear back there...

That's a good idea! Looks like I have a small project for this weekend :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom