My first Crawler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well after breaking my cherry on woodys ax, then breaking his :grinpimp: (ax, not cherry) And playing with Gumbys ax, I figured I wanted to be one of the cool kids so I picked this up...

crawlerax10001.jpg

Dont really know what im doing, but hey ill figure it out.

Started life as a Scorpion
Custom skid to triangulate the lowers
Novak 55t
Novak Rooster
runs on 2s Lipo
and whatever else you can see in the pic.

Next up is either a dig, or 3s lipos. If I feel the need for either. Or just beefing it up

Picked up this charger

Thunder AC6 Smart 5-in-1 Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Cell Lipo/Lilo/LiFePo4 + 1-15 Cell Nimh/NiCD

crawlerax10003.jpg

crawlerax10005.jpg

mmmm. Nice charger.

When do you get the truck in your hand?

Yeah I figured this thing does everything I need and it has AC built in, for about the same price as if I bought a power supply. Plus it gets amazing reviews!

Coming USPS (i think) it should have went out this morning from SE michigan. Im hoping for Monday. I 3 day'ed the charger so I can play right a way. and just picked up another batt, a PolyRC 1200mah 2s 30C Lipo.

God i hate waiting!! :bounce2:

crawlerax10002.jpg

AHHH 3day my ass. Charger wont be here til wed :crybaby:

So basically I have to sit here and stare at the car. The guy is sending me one battery with the car...maybe it will have some juice in it :rolleyes:

Nice man, ill have to bring my go-fast car up by you one of these days now.

Nice man, ill have to bring my go-fast car up by you one of these days now.

Sure we can race, but i get to pick the course.

nice lookin ride....we'll have to see how well it keeps up with mind :D

nice lookin ride....we'll have to see how well it keeps up with mind :D

Yeah I dont know, right off the bat I think im at a disadvantage, with 2s lipos, the stock 3-link, and im not sure about how he custom mounted the shock lower on the chassis, he said it lowers his ride height, but of course it doesnt, and the 45* angle on them will be interesting...Its a terrible real world set-up, but maybe it will be fine on an rc...

Other than that I think our axials pretty similar, it seems as though your rovers, and my panthers, share the top spot in the tire world.

That is of course assuming I dont break all the plastic drive shafts, axles, link ends, and trans.....but hey im a finese driver so we will see:grinpimp:

Come on up. It'll cost you a bag full of money, I can just about promise you that.

guarenteed! I always made fun of "40yr old virgin/RC guys." Now I am one.

But atleast I dont do the high speed stuff :rolleyes: AKA, drop a grand into something that you will play with for 5 min before watching it desintegrate over a man-hole cover....:flipoff2: I can do this s*** in my underwear while watching tv in my living room (there a pic for ya)

I hope its at my step now!

It has arrived. But my charger doesnt get here til wed, so im nursing this batt to make it last. I can see why people say not to get too crazy "couch crawling" there is unlimited grip, Im sure ill break it.

Once my charger gets here Ill head over to Mr. Gumbys rock course and see what it can do and what I can break

BTW the ESC is actually a Rooster Crawler....So I guess thats better, but I still think it will only do 2s, but it is geared more for crawling.

guarenteed! I always made fun of "40yr old virgin/RC guys." Now I am one.

But atleast I dont do the high speed stuff :rolleyes: AKA, drop a grand into something that you will play with for 5 min before watching it desintegrate over a man-hole cover....:flipoff2: I can do this **** in my underwear while watching tv in my living room (there a pic for ya)

The go fast stuff is a lot of fun, at least for me. I rarely mess with mine on the street, but they are more durable than you are giving them credit for. Ive crashed mine big a few times, and only truly broken it once when i smacked a mailbox at almost 60mph. Took half an hour and an $11 part to have it back 100%. Besides, i have a high speed track right down the street from me, we head over there and have some fun for a few hours after work for not a whole lot of money. I wasnt looking to race, they are just fun to screw arround with.

I may look into the crawlers though, as i have a couple extra battery packs and charger from the starter for my car.

The go fast stuff is a lot of fun, at least for me. I rarely mess with mine on the street, but they are more durable than you are giving them credit for. Ive crashed mine big a few times, and only truly broken it once when i smacked a mailbox at almost 60mph. Took half an hour and an $11 part to have it back 100%. Besides, i have a high speed track right down the street from me, we head over there and have some fun for a few hours after work for not a whole lot of money. I wasnt looking to race, they are just fun to screw arround with.

I may look into the crawlers though, as i have a couple extra battery packs and charger from the starter for my car.

I know. I was just exadurating a bit.

After playing with this one a bit....yeah Joe you will be hooked!!!

The most dangerous thing about these is the thought in the back of your head the whole time you are playing with it, "Theres no reason my 1:1 rig shouldnt be this capable...:hmm:"

I know. I was just exadurating a bit.

After playing with this one a bit....yeah Joe you will be hooked!!!

The most dangerous thing about these is the thought in the back of your head the whole time you are playing with it, "Theres no reason my 1:1 rig shouldnt be this capable...:hmm:"

I'm looking into grants to see if I can't make a 1:1 electric buggy. I'm thinking two Prius battery packs and motors mounted directly to the Rockwells.

I'm looking into grants to see if I can't make a 1:1 electric buggy. I'm thinking two Prius battery packs and motors mounted directly to the Rockwells.

Or sealed electric motors at the wheels. Then just make a beam axle (shaped for ground clearance) You could also use portal hubs to locate the motors up and out the way of rocks, and give you enough room under the motor to afford some protection. Plus some reduction.

Or electric motor over hyrdaulic wheel motors, like heavy equipment, but electric instead of disel........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom