my driverside knuckle is leaking 90w! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
should I just get the marlin kit? I'm trying to do this in a day or two max, and I have access to a hub socket. Are there any other special tools that I should source out? Any other tips besides spraying everything down with blaster the night before? Brakes were recently done so I don't need to do that. Anyone in Seattle wanna come help for free beer and food? awesome.

I would never do anything but the Marlin inner axle seals! Only about $8.00 ea. and a hell of a lot better than OEM! Get your gasket kit from Kurt of Cruiser Outfitters and the Marlin seals. If the 90w has not contaminated the bearing grease to bad and made a milk shake out of it you can prolly get by with not a lot of clean-up but if you open it up and it's contaminated you'll need to clean it all up and repack bearings etc. Not hard just filthy, dirty & greasy! You can easily do it in a weekend even if it's your first time. Keep track of parts label everything and put it in baggies and use a sharpie marker. Get all your parts, tools and FSM before you start! No special tools other than the 54mm socket. Just lots of towels, rags degreaser etc. I use lots of wd40 for cleaner especially of road grime heavy grease etc. cuts through it quick! You can buy it by the gallon for about $20.00.

I was thinking about just doing the deal with wheel bearings and everything. I think the kit is like 150.00 from marlin. I would hate to tear it all apart and then have a wheel bearing go out. I am planning on driving this thing reliably sooner than later so why not right? What does it take to remove and repack the bearings?

Get the fish scale from marlin or a similar one. Very important for resetting your bearing preload on the trunion bearings. Worth the investment, because you will do this job again if you keep your cruiser for a long time or find yourself wheeling in mud and water. The scale can also be used for wheel bearing preload or weighing various random items in the garage.

If you replace the knuckle bearings, do not mix the shims up. Make sure you know what side each shim came off of, and whether the shim was on top of, or below the knuckle. You should end up with four "packs" of shims. Put each pack in a separate baggy and label it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom