Most economical Toyota diesel land cruiser engine for a 60 series in terms of fuel efficiency (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Read countless threads in which the fuel economy of different Toyota diesel engines was discussed. What would be the most fuel efficient land cruiser diesel engine regardless of cost, parts availability, power, and other such considerations for a 60 series wagon? Options include 3B, 13BT, 2H, 12HT, 1HZ, 1HDT (FT,FTE), etc.

Probably the 1hdfte as it has the better flowing head... however the standard 1hdt or 12ht would be pretty efficient as well.

I think the setup of the engine and choice of gearing is probably more important than the engine itself. So good flowing intake/exhaust, modern correctly sized turbo and new injectors would help a lot.

I don’t think the efficiency difference would be enough to notice in the real world. Eg swapping from a 12HT to 1HDFTE isn’t going to halve the usage

The amount of fuel it consumes wont vary a great deal. Its a big square heavy lump of metal and it takes a lot of fuel just to get it moving. I would go with the 1HZ or 1HD T for price,parts, availability.
The 6 cyls seems to have a wider power band, although I do like the 4cyl B engines

I think the 1HZ is the budget priced option that will still give you reasonable fuel economy and the ability to maintain 70mph all day without stressing the engine. It probably has the best parts availability of them all.

And you are really going need a 5 sp to get the best from a diesel on the freeway.

Toyota's direct injection diesel's are more efficient than the indirect injection diesels. The 12HT is surprisingly efficient and came from the factory in the 60 series (HJ61). From what I've seen, the DI engines net about 1-2l/100km better economy than there IDI brothers.

Efficiency didn't improve much again after the DI motors came out until Toyota went to the common rail diesel technology. However with the addition of more and more emissions equipment over the following years, they've gradually lost their efficiency edge.

13BT will be the winner.

Direct injection is more efficient, fewer cylinders has less heat loss and less internal drag.

You'll pick up some fuel economy by installing a better turbo and raising the gearing. The CT26 isn't very efficient.

2H/3B for ultra reliability :)

3B for maximum fuel efficiency
12HT for maximum fun
1HZ/HDT for long distance runs
2H/3B for ultra reliability :)

Surely you gentlemen are taking the piss. The 3B/2H aren't efficient or ultra-reliabile. They only produce acceptable fuel economy because they're slow.

And 13BT are as rare as hens teeth in good condition and the 3B 2H 1HZ are half or 2/3 the price. In terms of economy , the lower priced engine buys a lot of extra fuel.

And in reply to the OP. Economy doesnt really come into diesel swaps , none of those engines are going to be all that much different and none will even come close to returning the installation cost with fuel savings unless you drive it for decades.

Surely you gentlemen are taking the piss. The 3B/2H aren't efficient or ultra-reliabile. They only produce acceptable fuel economy because they're slow.

Yes 3B's are slow but I always had great fuel economy with them both in 40 and 70 series.

Yes 3B's are slow but I always had great fuel economy with them both in 40 and 70 series.

My '85 BJ70 with the 3B got 19 MPG driving in town. Never did get it out on a road trip. So, about the same as a 22R pickup. I wasn't real impressed.

My '85 BJ70 with the 3B got 19 MPG driving in town. Never did get it out on a road trip. So, about the same as a 22R pickup. I wasn't real impressed.

If you ever would instal the 22R in the heavier BJ70 it would get less, I have owned a few 100% bone stock BJ70 and 73’s in the past and cruising around 95 to 100 kph they would sip diesel , unfortunately they didn’t stay long stock and after adding liftkit, bigger tires and a turbo it makes more sense to start with a 12HT or 1HDT

Surely you gentlemen are taking the piss. The 3B/2H aren't efficient or ultra-reliabile.

I'm not sure if you're trolling?

I'm not sure if you're trolling?

Are you implying that IDI diesels which crack heads and drop precombustion cups are ultra reliable? Also that IDI which is about 20% less efficient than direction injection is efficient?

There are petrol engines which are more efficient than some of the engines being advised in this thread. It's weird. Like 30-40 year old engines being talked up into a status they never held.

If you want fuel economy and reliability you need direct injection. If you're serious about fuel economy you also need 4 cylinders instead of 6.

Are you implying that IDI diesels which crack heads and drop precombustion cups are ultra reliable? Also that IDI which is about 20% less efficient than direction injection is efficient?

I'm implying that the 2H and 3B engines are possibly the most reliable diesel engines, for 4x4s, that Toyota have ever made. I made no claims about efficiency.

I'm implying that the 2H and 3B engines are possibly the most reliable diesel engines, for 4x4s, that Toyota have ever made. I made no claims about efficiency.

How did you ever come to that conclusion?

1HZ, 13BT, 12HT and 1HD-FT&E are all more reliable. The only less reliable would be the L series, the KZ's and the 1HD-T with it's big end bearings.

How did you ever come to that conclusion?

35 years of involvement in the 4x4 community in Australia. Watching what people wheel, the outcomes they have, the longevity of their engines etc. Inline pumps, gear driven timing, mechanical injection - when well cared for and driven appropriately its a recipe for tremendous reliability.

35 years of involvement in the 4x4 community in Australia. Watching what people wheel, the outcomes they have, the longevity of their engines etc. Inline pumps, gear driven timing, mechanical injection - when well cared for and driven appropriately its a recipe for tremendous reliability.

But high compression, weak heads, pre-combustion cups and extra heat an IDI puts into the head (i.e. thermal cracking) makes those other reliable parts not so relevant.

Toyota should have made them direct injection.

But high compression, weak heads, pre-combustion cups and extra heat an IDI puts into the head (i.e. thermal cracking) makes those other reliable parts not so relevant.

I know precombustion cups are an issue.. but its not actually that common in the scheme of things. As for the comment about weak heads this is not my experience nor my observation. I've seen so many overheat dramatically thanks to poor cooling system maintenance and live on for years afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom