Missing carb linkage rod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, trying to find a source for a vertical linkage rod on my aisan carb on my 1978 fj40.

Not sure of the name, it seems to be the one part on sor's diagram that doesn't have a number/name.

In the pic below its the vertical rod on the far left with the spring, it raises when you push the gas pedal.

Is this part available to buy, along with the spring, washers, codder pin etc?

Or do I need to build a jimmy-rigged version? If I need to build, any advice? My prototype I build worked for two gas pedal pushes until it bent and succumbed to the pressure...

Any help is welcomed!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407630729.088223.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Last edited:
Well I've jimmy-rigged up my own linkage until I find a source. Now I can start the truck properly from inside the cabin.

I used a battery tie-down rod which was threaded on one end(on top) and had a little angled part at the bottom.

Of course this isn't very good for tuning/adjusting the carb but at least I can get it to start and run with choke.

Please let me know if anyone has a source to purchase this linkage or if someone has an extra to sell.

Cheers

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407801463.305489.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Contact fj40jim (Jim Chenoweth) He possibly has those carb parts he will sell you. I needed a banjo bolt and fitting and he happened to have them to sell to me.

...via IH8MUD app

Thanks @tubalubb for the good guidance! I'll ask Jim C.

It does seem strange that I haven't come across a carb diagram with a part number on that rod. My gut is telling me its a throttle rod linkage, but have yet to see it in writing yet.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407949433.795493.jpg

And just for reference, here is my carb "identifier" markings.

I see the year is 78, and the day is 26, but for the life of me can't decipher the month that seems to be written in hieroglyphics.

I guess this was the stock carb since my truck is a 1978. Would have
assumed the carb would have been stamped with a date preceding the model year though...

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407950036.827909.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

It is the connector rod for the accelerator pump. Your Oklahoma engineering rod will work much better if you put a spring below the AP arm and the lower nut as shown in the diagram. This will prolong the duration of the AP squirt and help prevent the rod from bending.

@pinhead -thank you! I'll get a spring per your suggestion until I can source a more permanent solution.

Then I'll likely be re-watching your videos over and over to guide me through a rebuild.

...via IH8MUD app

Let me know if u need an accelerator pump rod, I should have one in my parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom