Mig welder suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whoooo hooo my wheel well tops and quarters are on the truck for delivery today! I am still needing to purchase a small mig welder to get the task completed but do not want to spend an arm and leg to buy one. Can anyone suggest a good flux core machine that would do the job for cheap?

Never had any luck with flux core, which IS NOT MIG. That is just a wire core welder, which for doing sheetmetal just didn't work for me... Perhaps my lack of skill, either way. I THEN bought a Lincoln 110V MIG from home depot and have never looked back. That's what I recommend. Flux core welding I found got too hot for thin materials and would burn through or warp sheetmetal (for a rookie like me) but true MIG welding worked like a charm.

Chris

Never had any luck with flux core, which IS NOT MIG. That is just a wire core welder, which for doing sheetmetal just didn't work for me... Perhaps my lack of skill, either way. I THEN bought a Lincoln 110V MIG from home depot and have never looked back. That's what I recommend. Flux core welding I found got too hot for thin materials and would burn through or warp sheetmetal (for a rookie like me) but true MIG welding worked like a charm.

Chris

x2.

I'm a complete beginner and I can't even begin to weld sheet metal with flux core- it keeps burning through. But with MIG and shielding gas it's actually pretty easy to weld thin sheet metal if you take your time.

My advice is to check Craigslist and local classifieds for a used Lincoln, Miller or Hobart MIG. If you're only looking at sheetmetal body work a 110v machine is all you need.

Stick with a name brand (Hobart, Lincold, etc), if you try to cheap out and buy a chinese welder you will throw it across the garage and then buy a good one... X3 on not welding thin material with flux core. Flux is fine for thicker stuff (albeit a messier weld), but not sheetmetal in my experience.

I love my Hobart 210. I use at least once a week for something or another. I got mine used off craigslist with a cart and spool gun for aluminum for $800. Be patient and you will find a good deal.

flux is easier, messier, quieter for thick metal and does not use gas, which cost less.

shieldes mig is for thin sheet metal. I would suggest you practice with it as I have done my repairs on my fenders. Look a a few theads back in this forum where it says "the right way to weld sheet metal?"

Positing of the sheet metal parts together is the most important. Use LOTS of light on the weld as you need it to see the part well for welding

I just bought an Eastwood 175 mig welder. It was kind of a risky buy as they are an off-brand, but so far I've been impressed with the little unit. They are on sale right now for $460 plus free shipping. They come with a spool gun, which is a great extra if you plan to ever weld aluminum, but wasn't a huge selling point for me.

I've just done a few little projects with it, but so far it really lays down a nice stable weld. I'm going to take it home with me for Thanksgiving and put it side by side with my dad's smallest welder (he has a metal fab shop), which is a Miller 251. I'll probably do a quick write up on it after I can really compare side by side.

FWIW, the Eastwood doesn't come with Flux and is really build with the intention of only doing MIG welding- does come with regulator. Although cheap, it does function. That means you'll need shielding gas, so I'd plan on at least $150 to buy a tank of gas. I bought a used acetylene tank locally for $40, and Praxair traded me straight across for a 60cf C25 mix plus the cost of the air - So I ultimately was a little under $50 for gas plus the $40 for the used tank rather than pay $200ish for a new tank. That was one good way to save some $.

I would also look at used welders. There is a Linde smaller 240 volt mig machine here in SLC for sale with a tank all set up for $400ish. Linde = ESAB and is probably a great little machine. Had it been listed for sale i might have bought it over the Eastwood I have.

EDIT: As far as "name brand" welders, I would not hesitate to buy a Linde, ESAB, or Thermal Dynamics in addition to the Miller, Lincoln, Hobart group.

Last edited:
if you are not in a hurry, craigslist is your best bet. I got a lightly used Lincoln SP170 w/ a tank and a full leather jacket for $420. It is the smallest 220v model in the Lincoln line, but it did fine welding my 0.25" wall tire carrier down to the sheetmetal rust repair on the rear sill. If you can swing it, I would suggest getting a Miller/Lincoln/Hobart 220v welder (170-185) as it will be more versital and is not much more than the smaller 110v models.

bsilva132 said:
if you are not in a hurry, craigslist is your best bet. I got a lightly used Lincoln SP170 w/ a tank and a full leather jacket for $420. It is the smallest 220v model in the Lincoln line, but it did fine welding my 0.25" wall tire carrier down to the sheetmetal rust repair on the rear sill. If you can swing it, I would suggest getting a Miller/Lincoln/Hobart 220v welder (170-185) as it will be more versital and is not much more than the smaller 110v models.

Heads up, people are reporting that in the local tractor supply stores the hobart 187 is on clearance for $450

Chris

Well this isn't entirely accurate, but for the purposes of this conversation and sheet metal work a gas covered wire is the way to go.

Chris

flux core is for thick stuff not for sheetmetal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom