Mechanic for '77 FJ around Chapel Hill? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know of a knowledgeable shop in the area that is good with old '40s? I have a persistent problem that I have worked on and worked on, also had other shops work on and I'm still coming up empty. Recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Well, initially we thought it was related to the dizzy so we replaced it and did and HEI conversion. Turns out the clamp was off after replacement and thus the dizzy was walking which threw the timing off. In the process, I also replace the carb with a troll hole so as to eliminate that issue along with fuel lines and filter. We then got the right clamp, adjusted the timing and it is better. It's not a vacuum leak, ruled that out already as well. In short, the engine feels weak and dips when I press the accelerator unless the engine has been running and warm. It "sputters" is the best way to describe it when I push the gas and sometimes I can even get the engine to shut down. This has been going on for some time and I have spent more than I'd like to only get it to the point of mediocrity.

Carolina off-road in Raleigh.

Sounds like she needs a valve adjustment, timing adjustment and then carb adjustment. You've already replaced everything that's involved in the run condition you're experiencing.

If you can wait till later in October, I can definitely give you a hand either at your place or at my place. Earlier this spring I put a used (low-mile) long block 2F in a 60 and had to correct the exact same run issue. After a few select tuning inputs, I had that engine running like a scalded dog :D

Send me a PM and we'll try to work something out!

Im in Chapel Hil and take all my vehicles to the chapel hill tire at U mall. I know most of the guys in the shop and a couple of them are wizards. Bucky answers the phone and is very sharp. GL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom