LX600 Electric Power Steering-- Thoughts and Experiences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hoser

SILVER Star
Threads
Just wanted to hear your thoughts and experiences with the Electric Power Steering (EPS) system in the LX. I understand, steering effort is lighter at slow speed and provides less road feel, more numb. I'm guessing the EPS was chosen for the Steering Assist function.

Has anybody had an issues with it? The 2024 GX550 and LC250 also use EPS while the LC300 and the 2024 4Runner still uses hydraulic power steering. I know the Jeep JL and Ford F-150 have gone to EPS. I'm just curious how it is working out for Toyota.

Just picked up a 2022 Lx600. Had a 18 lx570. Steering is much quicker and doesn’t feel like you’re driving a boat. This was the first thing my wife noticed when driving. She loves the easy maneuverability. EPS has been around for a long time. I don’t expect issues other than people missing the old school feel.

Thought the diesel 300 was hydraulic and the gas was electric…

@URJ150L The LX600 and LX500D came with EPS. The Land Cruiser 300, Gas and Diesel both came with hydraulic power steering.

No problems with mine. The way it is calibrated feels stiff enough, weighted at the limits during cornering, and returns to center well. I'm very happy with it. 2022 LX600 Base.

I have both a 24 LX600 and a 18 LC so I get to compare the steering often. Basically, the LX steers much easier than the LC. Unlike other vehicles I have owned with EPS, the LX does not feel vague (like a video game). I think it tracks well and easily finds center. I have sold vehicles with EPS because I could not stand it (Porsche Cayanne and MB MLs come to mind).
Finally, my wife does not mind driving the LX and thinks it is more responsive than the LC.

@ds570 Thx for the feedback on performance. I'm also concerned with longevity and field repairs. Probably too early to tell at this point. I know EPS has been used for a long time but only more recently in trucks and SUV's. The standard hydraulic steering system requires more maintenance and can leak but rarely dies a sudden death. One could field repair a high pressure hose too.

With the EPS, I'm concerned about motor failure. What is the field repair? There doesn't seem to be a bandaid fix except carrying a spare motor/rack with you. I'm interested to know if the motor is waterproof and if it can overheat over hours and hours of slow off-road.

Along the same lines, Toyota uses electric cooling fans in most of their road driven vehicles but uses hydraulic clutch fans for their Land Cruisers. If the clutch fan fails, you can just drill a hole and put some screws through it and it should work well enough. No easy fix for the electric cooling fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom