Looking for a local cage builder. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im going to be putting the 40 on the road this spring and I'm in Va for the forseeable future. As much as I want to do it myself, I dont have the equipment and would rather have a pro weld up my cage. Im in Milford, MA and can get the 40 around 30 miles or so on surface roads to a shop. Im limiting it to that for now since Im having a fuel line issue.
I've been working on this for a few years now and I want it to be as safe as possible both on and off road.
If I could get some suggestions as to where I should go, it would really be appreciated.
Thanks!
Rob

Two places, Kessler Machine in Canton, MA, ask for Joe Kessler 781-828-0134 or MetalSmiths in Dorchester, ask for Con 617-266-4040. He built me a really nice Icon style cage for $450. Both are good and reasonable.

I would say, Mike Fox (CT), Wally (VT), and Kina (NH) but none of them fit the 30mile radius.

I found out just now that Wally doesnt do any bending.

Would you mind sending me or posting a pic of your cage? Im only interested in a family style cage with the A pillar bending in for more leg/foot room. Im 6'4" with big feet. I've driven a couple of 40's with the straight A pillar and didnt like getting in and out of the driver's seat. It would be kind of cool to have the same radius bent in the B pillar so that I could tap in the stock roll bar pads to keep the factory look.

My cage is just two hoops, one just behind my head and one over the tailgate. Two parallel bars connect them. It is just like you would see on the TLC Icon. Check out NatickDave's olive 40. His cage has A bars that turn towards and bolt to the firewall. Awesome leg clearance and no impact getting in and out. Maybe he'll see this and post a picture, if not I think I have one somewhere.

Wally subs out his tube work to a local chopper builder who does nice work. Guess he just did a full bed cage for a unimog 404 for one his clients.

Still not close enough. $450 for a full installed custom cage is damn reasonable.

$450 for a full installed custom cage is damn reasonable.

I did not get a full cage for $450. Just what you see in the picture. He did paint it black for me. I removed the handles you see. Also, I installed it myself.
Iconcage.jpg

Here is the pic of the A bars in NatickDave's cage.
UPnOvercage.jpg

Rob, Call Bob & Liza at Bay State Off Road. They're in Middleboro, MA and Bob does Grade A plus work. Very reasonable rates and a full service fab shop. Is a gear set-up master. BTW, he's got a trailer and can work out going to pick it up for you if you're concerned about driving it.

This goes for anyone else in the area too. I've know Bob and Liza for quiet a few years now and highly recommend them. They do a lot to support the sport and the people in it. Great people to hang around with too.

Bay State Off Road

Look at the Photos section of the site. He just finished a cage for someone's YJ. Nice and tight.

DSCF0073.Large.jpg

Last edited:
Im going to be putting the 40 on the road this spring and I'm in Va for the forseeable future. As much as I want to do it myself, I dont have the equipment and would rather have a pro weld up my cage. Im in Milford, MA and can get the 40 around 30 miles or so on surface roads to a shop. Im limiting it to that for now since Im having a fuel line issue.
I've been working on this for a few years now and I want it to be as safe as possible both on and off road.
If I could get some suggestions as to where I should go, it would really be appreciated.
Thanks!
Rob

Rob, we are pretty busy right now, but we should be able to get you in. BTW. we are in Harrisville, RI (plumbing isn't finished in the new shop yet).

Joe
SUPERCRUISERS.COM
supercruisers-com grgDSCF0004.JPG

Still waiting to hear about an open house Joe (just wait for the weather to warm up now!) :D

joe, did you build that truck for a guy down the Cape? I think I've seen it before.

Joe if you need it I can recommend some good plumbers and electricans.

No cage can be built for $450. IT costs that in materials these days. I am a metal tech dealer. But I have a bender too. Send me a pic of a cage that you like and I can give you a price. I'm currently in MArlborough, CT but will be in North Kingstown, RI by summer if all goes to plan.

Probably a good idea. Just need to be careful in small towns because the sometimes "undesirable" things can be going on behind the scenes

*Disclaimer* To the best of my knowledge there is no illicit activity going on within the Burrillville Bulding Department. I am making no accusations nor implying as such. I'm merely making a general observation.

I'm mainly looking to get two U's bent and buy the Profile front cage from MT. I like their design, but would like to save as much $ as possible in shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom