Longfields, Marfields or Smurfields?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1Fine40

Rust Buster
Threads
???

With all the above choices on replacement birfs, and probably a few more I didn't list, would a guy be best off just purchasing the least expensive of the bunch? I mean, aren't they really all just about the same?? My driver side let go this past weekend, :eek: and luckily I was able to get home without a spare.... Opinions gladly accepted, real world experiences embraced!

Actually, I believe your choices are Newfields, Longfields, or Smurfields. IIRC, Marfields are simply rebadged from another vendor.

I shattered Newfields, but understand they have redone yet again for greater longevity. IMO, great product for those who run their rig as a daily/occasional offroader and need something that will take the wear of leaving it in 4wd at street speeds. (winter drivers and such)

I run Longs right now, and zero complaints. No breakage, no issues.

I'm sending in a pair of minitruck outers for Smurfing in the next week-two to carry as spares. For the price, hard to beat, but there is really no breakage history on these to substantiate their abilities.

aren't newfields treated differently, less for strengthening, more for lower rates of wear, while the long's are treated with strength in mind, and result in quicker wear than a stock birf. got something to do with the heating/cooling of the metal (i knew it was important in yr11 chem)

Where can I get Longfields for my 40 if I need them?

Mini Truck Longfields are available from All Pro Off Road and Marlin Crawler. These will fit 79 and later Cruisers with no mods. Earlier Cruisers with disks will require some minor grinding of the inside of the ball to get the birf in/out. Non Aisin hubs on the 76-78 will require a bolt and washer to retain the locking hub housing.

I met/spoke with the supplier of the Newfield products this weekend. Had a discussion both Sat and Sun with a couple of the engineers. Appears that CV Unlimited has changed suppliers of this product in the past year. Also, this supplier has a new testing machine which will allow them to do rotational/twist testing and learn the true breaking point.

They stated they had great luck and no breakages with their current version of the Newfield. I reminded them I went thru 5...but I was unsure if mine were from their manufacturing process or another company's. However, mine "looked" identical...polished, etc.

They have my card, and I encouraged them to contact me. I also encouraged them to pick up some of the other versions out there and start testing/comparing so they have some accurate information.

If I hear more, I'll post up.

We don't get the Newfields of similarly modified Birfields out here unfortunately, but there are some guys who take the Birfields from the FJ75/9, and with a bit of work with a pencil grinder, slot them in. Apparently these are alot tougher than the standard birfields.

lots of guys are running the smurfields around here and love them, some buddies just did a trip to the rubicon in three toyota trucks all running smurfields and didn't bust any. And ya can't beat the price. 8)

can you get longs, smurfs, and news for every year of 40 axle?

where do i go to find these?

what did i read about smurfing on his site?
are they $40 a piece to have smurfed???
i'm confused.

http://www.toyotasuperaxles.com
http://www.smurfields.com
http://www.cvunlimited.com

Yes, smurfing is a $40CAD plus shipping per birfield. GREAT price, I started cleaning up a pair last night, planning to send in tomorrow. Will use as spares for my Longfields.

The Smurfing process can likely be done to most any birfield, but really it applies best to 1979+ FJ40/55/60/62 and minitruck birfs (which are all the same, BTW) 76-78 FJ40/55 birfs are an odd size, and 75-older coarse (6) spline outer drum brake birfs are too weak to make the effort worth it.

ok well i'm 72,
what has to be done to get some fine splined to fit?

[quote author=rusmannx link=board=1;threadid=4715;start=msg37824#msg37824 date=1062681422]
ok well i'm 72,
what has to be done to get some fine splined to fit?
[/quote]

in short, the minitruck disc brake conversion. The aftermarket kits from SOR/MAF leave you with your same useless birfs and spindles, the minitruck replaced those with something stronger and that will take a Smurf'd birf.

crap.
i knew it had to be expensive somehow.
smurfs were to cheap;
sounded to good to be true.

is it possible to just find some late 80's minitruck axle
and swap innards (and outards) with my axle?

thanks woody.
i'll re-read them with a new angle.

Anybody got a used but intact birf they want to part with for cheap??? Since mine is broke.. Travis kinda confused me with the CND pricing and import duty stuff...maybe I'll just try
a longfield and stay stateside..

Sorry if I confused you, I am a busy busy man these days and can be confused myself.

It may be easier to hash it out on here. I guess in the vendor section tho under "Smurfield".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom