Lillooet - Relay Creek Wheelin' Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great write-up Glenn. I am envious of our elder wheelers.

As for the "moose bar" there is no such protective devise for moose which fits on any vehicle , except maybe a train. :D
400762-banff-20100808.jpg

I've always called those bars on the front of our vehicles a "bush bar", as that is about all they can protect you from.

Roo bars are really for Wallabies, which are smaller rabbit sized kangaroos that get hit by cars all the time.

Kangaroos are bigger and much less numerous. In the Outback there are open range cattle everywhere. I drove around Australia in a Holden with a couple of pals long ago (Holden is an Australian GM that is very tough and does not overheat at 120 F)

[FONT=&quot]
Bullbar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[/FONT]

The appropriate name for them is a nudge bar. Yes, they provide some protection but it is very limited, especially the allow bars, when you are doing 80k+. If you hit a bull at over 80k (the speed most like to do there to limit pain of the corrugations), the bull bar may protect the rad a bit, but not you from getting some bull in the face.

Was moosie on the straight-away (the section of the road that's arrow straight for a couple of km?) That's where i usually see moose on that road. Hopefully the damn poachers don't get him. We came across a poached moose carcass just off that road this spring.

Yes - he was near the north end of the straight stretch, he jumped out from the left. Must be some good Moose pasture nearby on the flood plain.

Very nice write up and great pictures.
Can hardly wait to go on trips like yours.
Thank you for sharing.
Mike

A few years ago I hiked up to the Meager hot springs, whcih involved packrafting across the Lillooet and then hiking up the valley. The hot springs were just barely spared by the slide. Coming back was fun since we crossed the river in the heat of the afternoon and it was significantly higher. While hiking across the moonscape of the slide we saw a moose off in the distance so they are pretty common up there it seems. I was surprised becauise it isn't very far north.

Day 6 Saturday- Moose Encounter

We packed early in the morning and headed south on the Upper Lillooet River FSR. Along the way I had a dramatic Moose encounter - this was scarry. I was boogying down the Upper Lillooet River FSR doing about 50 ,with Bill close behind, when a Moose with a huge rack jumped out on the road, not 5 feet from my left front fender. The huge animal stumbled momentarily, regained his balance looked at me and ran down the road at full tilt. I hit the brakes, ass end coming around and when it was apparent we were not going to collide – I coasted while I watched this huge critter run for his life. Had I hit that animal, I would have probably broken his legs and badly damaged my truck. We were grateful that did not happen, because that would have spoiled an otherwise perfect September wheelin' trip.

After recovering from that incident (see picture of my cat who was with me) we proceeded down to Pemberton to air up and onto Squamish for lunch at Boston Pizza. After that I caught the Horseshoe Bay Ferry for Nanaimo and Bill went back to Vancouver.

Overall another great cruiser trip to be remembered.
View attachment 557692View attachment 557693
Gosh, I can't believe that was 11 years ago...
~Bill

I was close behind Glen when that moose ran out. It looked like a collision for sure but at
the last second the moose did a U-turn. I was a bit shocked thinking what a mess that
would have been both to the moose, Glenn, and the vehicle. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom