Lets see your head unit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been neglecting the 100 and spending lots of time in my work truck. It has bluetooth. I need it in the 100. Let's see pictures of your aftermarket head units. I'm trying to figure out what to get. Also, does anyone know of an OEM double din that I could drop in that has bluetooth?

I ordered a single DIN parrot unit a while ago. It didn't fit so I returned it.

ASTEROID11600x299.jpg

Crutchfield.com has some nice double din units that have bluetooth, XM, etc. Put your vehicle into the search box and it'll return only the units that fit your vehicle

Crutch field says that a double din won't fit. But it will. You have to buy a install kit from Beatsonic.com. I would buy another pioneer app radio in a second. Great deck.

What year 100? Pioneer double din fits fine in my 98.

Mine is a 2000 and they had 5 or 6 double din's show up in the search. I can't say that I confirmed that they would fit though. They have good tech support. Email them or call them...

Land Cruisers 98-2002 (non-nav) have standard 2 DIN mounts.

LX470 98-2002 (non-nav) have 2 DIN mounts with a larger stylized opening that needs a trim piece.

2003+ (LX or LC) have a nonstandard opening in the lower center stack that can take a 1 DIN but it will need some work. I have also seen 2 DIN there but thats a lot more work (customization).

I have a pioneer double din 2500 and it fit perfectly in my 01 without any addition bracketry needed. Pull the mounting brackets off the OEM unit, install on aftermarket and install, that simple. You'll need to bypass the factory amp with crutch harness or replace with aftermarket amp as the factory on is crap.

...via IH8MUD app

I have a basic, but robust, pioneer double din. Fits in hole no problem, I believe I even used the OEM brackets off the old radio. If you have an LX, you will need a trim piece to cover the surrounding opening, I think they can be had for around $30 on amazon now. (I never got around to it, hasn't bothered me yet)

20130525_011037.jpg

Parrot Asteroid Smart. Not for everybody, but perfect for me as I love to play with my Android devices... Lack of physical volume knob has been an annoyance at times, but otherwise quite happy with it. Bluetooth phone works without issue. Plus I can start up Torque and connect via BT OBDII and/or have Backcountry Navigator at my fingertips without having to bring out another device...

I have the Orion AVR6.1.
It is my thread with a picture.

My LC came with the Pioneer AVH head unit. Frankly, the technology in this space is iffy. Notably, it has a DVD player. Which is great if you own DVD's and want to watch a movie. It would be nice if you could find more classic music concerts in DVD format, but you can guess how scarce that would be.

My recommendation. Go the Parrot route or go for the most upscale thing you can handle from Crutchfield.

20140605_194412.jpg

Kenwood DNX6140. Love having a volume "KNOB".

kenwood stereo.jpg

My LC came with the Pioneer AVH head unit. Frankly, the technology in this space is iffy. Notably, it has a DVD player. Which is great if you own DVD's and want to watch a movie. It would be nice if you could find more classic music concerts in DVD format, but you can guess how scarce that would be.

My recommendation. Go the Parrot route or go for the most upscale thing you can handle from Crutchfield.

Can't you hook up USB to that and play media files including video?

Can't you hook up USB to that and play media files including video?

You can generally play all sorts of music files, but you can't pipe in video content to play on the screen.

There is no common media type for video that everyone agrees on, so I don't see the vendors making a commitment on that. It would be nice and if that were possible, I'd see plenty of value in a screen, but as it is, it just plays one format.

You can generally play all sorts of music files, but you can't pipe in video content to play on the screen.

There is no common media type for video that everyone agrees on, so I don't see the vendors making a commitment on that. It would be nice and if that were possible, I'd see plenty of value in a screen, but as it is, it just plays one format.

Interesting. I have the Pioneer 1400-DVD which is the model below that and have been able to watch Friends episodes on long trips.

Video format standardization is an uphill battle. Unlike MP3, video is a totally different beast as all formats are not optimized for the multiple uses of video. Some formats compress better than others, and some offer better video quality but are huge in size.

It's an Apple vs. Droid issue. It will play content from the iphone platform, but not from Droid/Windows file types.

I'm a Droid/Windows person..

Last edited:
20130525_011037.jpg

Parrot Asteroid Smart. Not for everybody, but perfect for me as I love to play with my Android devices... Lack of physical volume knob has been an annoyance at times, but otherwise quite happy with it. Bluetooth phone works without issue. Plus I can start up Torque and connect via BT OBDII and/or have Backcountry Navigator at my fingertips without having to bring out another device...

This is probably what I'm most likely to get. Have you had any freeze issues? Does it work well with an iPhone? Can you pair the OBDII dongle and an iPhone at the same time?

This is probably what I'm most likely to get. Have you had any freeze issues? Does it work well with an iPhone? Can you pair the OBDII dongle and an iPhone at the same time?

I had a couple freeze/reboots on earlier firmware. Have not had issues with recent versions. Had some issues with video playing freezing(output to rear screen)...also on earlier firmware. My rear screen decided to jump off the ceiling to the floor and break, so I haven't had a chance to test that out with newer firmware.

Cannot answer any iphone questions. From browsing thread on XDA, seem others are using iphones successfully...I did see something about having problems getting contact photo sync'd, but that's the only thing I can remember...although I haven't really been actively searching for anything along those lines.

ODBII and my Galaxy S3 pair just fine via BT at the same time, so I wouldn't think the iphone would give any trouble there either...

Here's a couple hundred pages of posts on XDA with additional info...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2118432

image_zps1fa28d28.jpg

Bought it from Crutchfield. Very inexpensive. Loved it! I ran the micro cable to the top of the windshield (hidden) right next to the rear v mirror. Works great. Instant hookup to iphone via Bluetooth. Can handle different phones plus your contacts go to it. Did the brake bypass so I can play YouTube or movies (I never do) while the car is in motion. The reason I did this is to bypass the need to put the brake on then off and back on to use the video feature. No extra to buy just tie cables. Charges my phone when plugged in to it, always a plus. W the mirror link you can use google maps or whatever for navigation plus the sound comes thru the speakers. It mutes the music with the prompts and then plays again. Only thing I didn't add was the rear view camera, instead I added a Bazooka tube plug and play and it's perfect.
Cheers

Has any one been happy with sending their iPhone display to their head unit and using it for navigation? For example I use Wase on-road and Motion X GPS off-road and I'd like both to show up on my head unit when I am using them, instead of installing a whole iPad or something.
I am considering the Pioneer AVH line.

Rob I noticed in the "what have you done" thread that you have both a double din head unit (pioneer) and an iPad. Wondering what your thoughts might be?
New Icom ID5100 radio nesting with the Yaesu FTM-350

View attachment 905742

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom