Left rear window won't close all the way (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ozarkmud

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi everyone,

Left rear window was fine for a while, but was pushed down and now can't go back up. It has a lot of slop, where I can pick up the window and pull it up, but it droops down. Motor doesn't do much of anything.

There seem to be a few things that commonly go out on these. I've read about some rubber guides that harden up over time.

I'd like to first apply a temporary fix and likely later fix the actual issue. Rear window movement isn't a huge deal for us, but rear windows staying up definitely is.

I first tried taping the window, but it didn't last long at all. I've read about 3M Command Hooks and window shims being used.

What would be a good temporary fix to safely keep it propped up? Is there some preventative maintenance I should perform? Admittedly, I think all or most of the motors are very weak. Seems like new OEM is expensive and there's a number of cheaper alternatives. From Corolla window motors to Dorman, to Aisan.

Would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thank you!

In a pinch a good sticky tape can hold the glass up. I used clear vinyl tape running about a foot down both sides (ie one continuous piece of tape one foot up , over the top of the door/window frame, and one foot down), and repeated that across most of the width of the window. Then ran more tape side-to-side across those sections of tape (to include more bare glass sections). It lasted a 4000 mile round trip and then some, but I kept the roll of clear tape in the vehicle for whenever it needed more reinforcement. Pain in the arse cleaning off all the adhesive afterwards however.

However if you have the time it's better to just pull the panel off and see what the problem is, likely the door glass has pulled out of the regulator and/or the regulator is messed up along with the motor.

IME Dorman motors are good for ~10 years and counting.

Last edited:
The regulator has failed in some way. I also recommend Dorman as an affordable and effective alternative to OEM. Fixed my driver's window for many years, don't recall exactly when I installed it but was still working reliably when I trashed that truck in more fundamental ways recently.
The install was quick and easy, probably less time than you've already put in in trying to prop that old one up.

Last edited:
Taking the door panel off and putting the window back in the track takes about 15 minutes. I fixed mine with some fipg to keep the rubber sleeve thingy glued to the glass. It stays in the lift well. Adding the fipg took another 10 minutes to apply and get the rubber back in the channel. So maybe 30 minutes and it's fixed for good, or at least years.

FYI, the rubber filler channel for all 4 window regulators are available new. After 30 years or so, they'll be done.
69971-60020 for the front windows. About $12.
69971-90D00 for the rear windows. about $9.

Sounds like the window channel has come off the regulator roller. Easy fix. Both my rears have done that to me.

Taking the door panel off and putting the window back in the track takes about 15 minutes. I fixed mine with some fipg to keep the rubber sleeve thingy glued to the glass. It stays in the lift well. Adding the fipg took another 10 minutes to apply and get the rubber back in the channel. So maybe 30 minutes and it's fixed for good, or at least years.
This is the fix. Had it happen to mine a couple weekends ago. Was wheeling with the rear windows halfway down. Popped the rubber keeper thing out of the track and window shifted out of the track.

Suction cup for glass/dents squeezed into the lower corner worked as a “short-term / keep the rain out” $5 fix.
It lasted much longer than I expected with no tape residue. Not good for off road bumps or curious back seat passengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom