July 2022 Club Run - July 21-24; Eastern Sierras! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Marc, do you have a gpx of the route?

I'm kinda stumped on the connection of white mountain road (@ cedar flat) into mazourka Canyon Trail. Looks like we head back to pavement for that connection?

Reason: I want to do an accurate mileage estimate w/r gas needs (@ 9-10 mpg for offroad).

Left on White Moutain road to Masourka Canyon from Silver Canyon. That road passes thru Bristle Cones and the visitor center if that helps.

color me.....doesn't help.

The way I sees it (& gaia sees it), silver canyon/bristle cones/white mountain road are more/less directly east from Bishop.

mazourka mountain (Masourka Canyon) is slightly north and east of independence.

white mountain road to Masourka canyon....as my good friends "bert and I" say (if you have to ask....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_%26_I) : "you cahn’t get they-yah from hea-yah" (note Maine-iac verbal inflection).

That's not my story....And I'm not sticking with it:rofl:

P.S. a known medical phenomena: Death by gps.

I've got Silver Canyon and Mazourka as individual routes on GIAA and White Mountain connects the two. Perhaps you're looking at the fact that Mazourka is 'run' from south to north and we're proposong the opposite? White Mountain to 168 to Death Valley Big Pine Rd to Mazourka. Does that help?

I will be attending the run with my GX460 and Overland Trailer (Woolly). I’ll tray and stay at the same hotel as the rest on Thursday night.
Awesome 👌

Marc

Okay everyone, after our club meeting Sunday afternoon. We have a tentative itinerary as follows.
1st leg of the trip friday7/21 is (off US route 6) just north of Bishop, silver canyon up to the top intersection of white mountain trail heading south.
2nd leg is mazourka Canyon Trail (mazourka mountain). Specific details regarding the trip will be discussed at dinner 7pm Thursday night .
This schedule is subject to change of course, in the unfortunate event of any fire conditions or Forest closures that may occur between now and the trip event . Thursday 7/21 dinner@7pm & Friday 7/22 breakfast @730am locations will be Published early next week for those wanting to join in group dining . Several drivers are staying @ El rancho motel 7/21 Thursday , myself included.
Friday 7/22 @ 830am group (driver's) meeting location is .
Bishop City Park
(760) 872-4240
Bishop City Park · 688 N Main St, Bishop, CA 93514 - https://maps.app.goo.gl/na1Cz7tJ4Mx6DFqNA.

Looking forward to eastern Sierra adventure!

Marc
Eastern Sierra trip updates .for anyone interested in group dining:
Thursday 7/21 @7pm dinning (schats closes @8pm)
Aaron Schat's Roadhouse
(760) 873-0000
Friday 7/22 @730 am
Breakfast
Jack's Restaurant
(760) 872-7971

If anyone has a different spot (s) please chime in . Both of these locations are moderately priced and good dinning options . But many other choices are available too. If your looking for a quicker breakfast option "great basin bakery" is nice, on the same street as el rancho motel. Of course several fast food options are in town as well. In fact adjacent to Bishop City Park (830 am meeting location) is Carl's Jr .

Marc

For @Live to Ski asking about mileage. Here's a screenprint of the three routes from GIAA. Just sent these three routes to @DirtyRice Joe to review!

Silver Canyon 11.5 Miles
Silver Canyon to Mazourka Canyon 39.4 miles
Mazourka Canyon to Independence 38.9 miles

Picture1.png

For @Live to Ski asking about mileage. Here's a screenprint of the three routes from GIAA. Just sent these three routes to @DirtyRice Joe to review!

Silver Canyon 11.5 Miles
Silver Canyon to Mazourka Canyon 39.4 miles
Mazourka Canyon to Independence 38.9 miles

View attachment 3062380
Just curious, is anyone planning to bring extra fuel? It would appear that the trails we are running and the approximate mileage would be well within the range of a full tank in our 80 series? With no need for additional fuel .

Marc

Just curious, is anyone planning to bring extra fuel? It would appear that the trails we are running and the approximate mileage would be well within the range of a full tank in our 80 series? With no need for additional fuel .

Marc
I'll be bringing my 3.5 gallon fuel container, just because I almost always do so. However, I think you are correct that our 80's will be fine on the stock tank. I think our recent Death Valley trip was longer than this one should be, and we were all fine on fuel. In fact, the only time I've ever run out of fuel on the trail was the Dusy-Ershim. Although relatively short, at only 33 miles, it was three days of idling & rock crawling. I finally ran out almost at the end of the trail. Chris Heron's FJ40 also ran out at about the same place.

Joe, do you plan on camping every night down as low as Bishop? Gonna' be kind of warm down there. I can't tell from the thread.
So sorry for the late reply! It's been a busy summer with family and outings. Anyway, I hear you! Bishop in the summer is usually sweltering! Although we haven't locked down exact dispersed camping areas, as it's usually "first-come, first-served", I'm really hoping for higher elevations to help mitigate the heat. I hope you can make it, as we'll be passing right through your neck of the woods on the way!

Marc
I make a habit of bringing 10 gallons on every trip regardless of need just to be safe and conservative!

Mar

Marc
I’ll bring at least 5 gallons maybe another 5 if I find a cap for the can

Thursday, 7/21, will be a travel day with an overnight in the Bishop area. Friday & Saturday will be trails during the day, and camping overnights. I haven't firmed up the itinerary, but I've done a lot of research, and there are many trails in the area for us to choose from. Our final trail selections will depend on rig/driver capability of those who attend. As always, our goal is a fun and exciting time, without beating up our trucks unnecessarily! Will we head west from Bishop? Or, north towards Mammoth & Lee Vining? Somewhere else? Come to the run and find out. Wherever we go, it will be fun!

Club VP Marc Mason is heading up early to get in a few days of Eastern Sierra fishing, and he's invited anyone else who's interested to join him. Marc will be staying at the El Rancho Motel, in Bishop, though there are many other lodging opportunities in Bishop, as well.

As we get closer, we'll firm up a meeting times and locations for Thursday dinner, Friday rendezvous, and Friday pre-run breakfast; if you're so inclined.

Sunday, 7/24, will be a travel day home. This should be a very fun trip, so if you'd like to attend, please be sure to block these days out on your calendar!
FYI
Important!!
For those drivers staying @ El rancho motel. Note You will check in @ trees motel . Both properties are owned by same family.
Trees motel is on w line street.
Trees Motel
(760) 873-6391
Marc

Okey-doke marc, I can trace your description....78.0 mi/Max Elevation10,490 ft/ Min Elevation 3,739 ft.

Should be no problem on the gas front, even for the gas thirsty 100 (9 or so mpg off-road). However, if need be, Big Pine gas/beer is 5m from the death valley-big pine rd intersection.⛽ :beer:

My confusion lay in that I was unaware we were doing a pavement stretch on 168.

That's not my story and I'm not sticking to it.

Marc
Ill be bringing my 4.5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom