It's True... My Head Gasket is Toast! HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Well, as some of you might know I have had a cooling system failure (PHH) that led to (or was caused by, extreme overheating)... Well, Last week I finally managed to get the PHH kit I ordered over 2 weeks before :frown:. The guy from the 1FZFEPHH site said that he had problems with his post office. Anyways, I got the PHH fixed and done. Filled with fresh 50/50. Changed the oil looking for signs of contamination (it was visibly clean). Preyed and cranked up the engine. The truck ran smoothly on idle and wormed up nicely with no signs of overheat, smoke or excessive steam from the exhaust. No leaks either...

I decided to go for a short cautious test drive. It was fine at first but 1 min down the road I started to overheat again... Ran back home before it got any hotter than 3/4 of the gauge.

The overflow was puking coolant and the radiator was making bubbling sounds. I cooled her down, assessed everything, topped the rad off and kept the cap off and cranked from cold hoping it was just some trapped air in the system, I also squeezed all the reachable hoses. The truck ran a bit rough, and was bubbling coolant out of the radiator tank with the first crank. :mad:

Folks here on mud were convinced its a HG. And I hate to agree but I think they're right... I am borrowing a block tester from AutoZone today but Now the question is:

Since this is my daily driver. I have to have her running ASAP. I am not afraid of a HG job. A friend and I tackled one many years ago on a 3FE. Time and money are my problem now.:doh:

If I would consider taking the truck to a reliable shop while I supply the parts, where should I go? Don't get me wrong, I hate the thought of having my truck worked on by anyone who's not a cruiser head but my time and work resources are limited.

Of course... Any other opinions are always welcome. Thanks!

When buying your parts I would recommend only using a Toyota brand head gasket. I had the motor rebuilt on my FJZ80 a few years ago. A shop with a good reputation did the rebuild. They used a rebuild kit using name brand components that they regularly used. After 20k miles the head gasket failed. I talked to Robbie from Toyota Trails and he said that wasn't uncommon with aftermarket head gaskets because they didn't have the same amount of support as the Toyota design. I got one from Toyota and could see the difference. Everything has been fine since replacing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom