Isuzu Trooper - IFS "clunk." (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Threads
Hi All:

My daily driver is a 1991 Isuzu Trooper I bought new. It now has about 140,000 miles on it. There is a "clunk" that comes from the front suspension (IFS) when hitting bumps, potholes, and so on. I am trying to figure out what part(s) might be loose, worn, broken, etc.

The Trooper has a independant front suspenion not unlike that of a 1986-95 Toyota 4wd mini-truck or 4Runner: "A" arms and torsion bars.

Additional info: the shocks were replaced about 5,000 miles ago, but the "clunk" has not gone away. The truck has been sporting an ARB bullbar (an extra 125 lbs.) since 1998 (70,000 miles or so.)

Anyone have any thoughts of what might be causing this "clunk?"

Thanks much for any help!

Regards,

Alan

One of the most common sources of clunk in the front end is the sway bar links and bushings. Another is going to be the ball joints or control arm bushings.

Hi All:

Thanks for the response!

Should I be concerned about this "clunk?" Will worn bushing on the sway bar links or tired ball joints fail suddenly causing suspension parts to fall-off the truck??

What sort of tools are neccesary to replace these parts?

Thanks for your assistance in this matter!

Regards,

Alan

Alan,

Visually inspect the sway bar connections; chances are they are worn out and need to be replaced. My '88 Trooper has 182k miles and the OEM sway bar rubber shows it.

Also, the ball joints are suspect. I replaced mine last summer, and though it is a long, dirty task, it isn't difficult. Turn your wheels fully to the left and inspect the driver side, and then right for the pax side, or vice-versa. Look for cracked seals on the upper and lower ball joints. If there is evidence of grease splattered on the suspension arms, they're likely shot. Given 140k miles, I'd say they are due.

Additionally, the clunk could be due to a "c" clip coming off the end of the outer axle, inside the auto locking hub of either / both front wheels. If you have OEM auto-locking hubs, it is a good possibility. There's enough play in there that when you hit a pot-hole, it will make a "clunk". This is a simple fix, buy a new clip (a pair, go ahead and replace the driver and pax side), pull the auto hub and you'll see the splined end of the axleshaft. The C clip sits about 1.5" inboard if I remember correctly.

Here's links to tech tip if you aren't already aware:
www.mwior.com is Midwest Isuzu Offroad. You can see my ball joint replacement and c-clip pix there. Plus other carnage.
www.4x4wire.com is an all makes board, and it has possibly the best isuzu tech forum.
www.planetisuzoo.com is another isuzu board.

Parts and tech can be obtained from:
www.independent4x.com (Matt)
www.darlington-offroad.com (Joe)
St. Charles Isuzu (St. Louis, MO) (Merlin) He's like Cdan of Isuzu!
Jerry Lemond; see his posts on 4x4wire Isuzu tech forum.

Tracy

Last edited:
Hi All:

Tracy, thanks for all the information!

Regards,

Alan

ive dealt with so many of these its a reaking never ending problem nothing will brake like ball joints but as stated above was correct bushings will need att.

Hi All:

Replaced all four front ball joints. The left (driver's) side upper was the source of the "clunk." It was obviously worn much more than the other three.

Not too tough of a job, just a bit time consuming.

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom