Is it safe to park at remote trailheads in the San Juan NF in Colorado? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We're planning a trip to Colorado this summer, and we're wanting to hike to Trinity Lake and Storm King Peak from the Hunchback Pass trailhead off of Stony Pass. Would it be safe to park my 1996 Tacoma here for a couple nights? It is many miles down a 4x4 road, which I figured would deter most opportunistic thieves, but I had heard about trailhead break ins in Colorado, so I wanted to make sure.

We were also planning an overnight hike from the upper Yankee Boy Basin trailhead, where it turns into the Mt Sneffels/Blue Lakes trail, which is again accessible by 4x4s and UTVs only.

I'm wondering how much people worry about this in general. It seems hard to avoid parking overnight at a trailhead if you want to go backpacking.

When I lived in the area, most of the trailhead break ins were at easy to get to (and get out of) trailheads and trailheads near town. You may want to check out how to keep marmots out of your rig. I've heard stories of guys being stranded because marmots ate their wiring.

Agreed, I'd be more concerned about marmots than humans in those spots. I fixed a fuel line on a FJ60 years ago for an older couple on the Stoney Pass summit, their truck had been sitting there for a few days while they backpacked and the varmits were hungry. Chicken wire to "seal" the gap between the rocker/ground seems to be the best bet, but do your research.

I did some research on the marmots. apparently, coyote urine sprayed around and under the truck can help, along with cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil placed around the engine bay.

We've been camping just below the summit on the RG for a few years now. We regularly leave campsite and at least one vehicle unattended overnight and/or all day at least - never had a problem. As others have mentioned, I think thieves prefer much easier trailheads, but the damned thing about opportunists is that they are opportunistic.

We're planning a trip to Colorado this summer, and we're wanting to hike to Trinity Lake and Storm King Peak from the Hunchback Pass trailhead off of Stony Pass. Would it be safe to park my 1996 Tacoma here for a couple nights? It is many miles down a 4x4 road, which I figured would deter most opportunistic thieves, but I had heard about trailhead break ins in Colorado, so I wanted to make sure.

We were also planning an overnight hike from the upper Yankee Boy Basin trailhead, where it turns into the Mt Sneffels/Blue Lakes trail, which is again accessible by 4x4s and UTVs only.

I'm wondering how much people worry about this in general. It seems hard to avoid parking overnight at a trailhead if you want to go backpacking.
Would be wise to remove and hide the starter relay and fuel pump relay. Or hell, just take out the ECU and take it with you. Make it very hard to steal.

We went up there and had no issues. There was even a really nice 60 series parked right nearby. We had no issues. I have heard there have been breakins at some more popular trailheads, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom