In the shuffling madness... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like you've been taking advantage of the nice weather.

That definitely seems like a low number considering all the black smoke. I would have expected at least 1200F-1300F.

You could buy a 12V to 24V DC step up converter to run your Auber. Would be a lot cheaper than buying a new pyrometer. Maybe something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WaterProof-...870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4615910b4e Just a quick search, but that unit is the right idea.

Sounds like you've been taking advantage of the nice weather.

That definitely seems like a low number considering all the black smoke. I would have expected at least 1200F-1300F.

You could buy a 12V to 24V DC step up converter to run your Auber. Would be a lot cheaper than buying a new pyrometer. Maybe something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WaterProof-...870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4615910b4e Just a quick search, but that unit is the right idea.

Yeah, not just the number but how slow the gauge was to react. Clearly something wasn't right.

I dug the auber out to do a side by side....note the scientific testing aparatus.:hillbilly:

Out of curiosity, I hooked it up to just a pair to see if it worked on 18v....it did. So then I had to try 13v. and yup. appears to work just fine....ordinarily I'd email the company in question and see if it's kosher to run it on lower voltage, (the flashing led is good for 8-32 v or something like that ) but my last communications with that "Suyi" person who answers emails there were largely in "all caps" and rather impolite. Long story. Won't be asking him(her?)

Don't most of those little 24/12 jobs work both ways? Just a gauge from auber is pretty cheap, but I'd have to get someone else to order it...doubt they'll send anything to me again after our last conversations...:lol:

So yeah. It's all installed, and to be honest, looks better than the isspro anyways. Switch and blinky light above are for the afterglow. Blinky light is freaking bright, so pretty hard to ignore when it's on. still may find a timer relay, but low on list.

And now that glow and afterglow function, and I advanced the timing a bit, cold starts are much better. It always caught and idled, would just start to stumble after a bit with no afterglow, and could fumigate bc place when you revved it up.

Took it for the obligatory "drive the grandmother out of it" test drive with gauge installed. Got it up to 1100 and change on the henry road hill. So pretty much what you'd expect, a lot like a 3b. There's room for a bit more fuel, but I'll leave it for if or when I turbo.

Got 30mpg on the first tank. With a fair bit of that doing 60 in 4wd, so it might improve. Haven't checked accuracy of speedo tho. I was hoping it would get at least close to 30, so I'm ok with that.

Wow, you've been busy. :clap:

Thats pretty cool that the 24V Auber works on a 12V system. A lot safer to try that then attempting to run 12V Auber on 24V, haha.

The DCDC converters I'm familiar with definitely don't work in reverse; you could try though...haha. The magic smoke might get out.

Your install looks nice and clean. I like the after glow light/switch too. Looks factory even.

Sounds like your EGT's are nice and safe. Funny thing, when I first got my Prado it took nothing to get it to 1150 POST TURBO :eek:. And people wonder why the heads crack...

I'm jealous of your mileage... Do you generally drive mostly highway?

Job well done, now go drink some :beer:.

Yeah, mostly highway, but it's pretty low geared. So I'm not sure how much that helps. I'm keeping my eyes out for a set of 31's at the moment. should drop the revs a fair bit.

Installations ok, I loathe those red plastic switches, but my switch bin failed me. Had some half decent toggles in there, and both were dead shorting...and not the way they're supposed to.

And no beer tonight unfortunately.

Workin. I made up for that monday and tuesday...:hillbilly:

Wow, you've been busy. :clap:

Thats pretty cool that the 24V Auber works on a 12V system. A lot safer to try that then attempting to run 12V Auber on 24V, haha.

The DCDC converters I'm familiar with definitely don't work in reverse; you could try though...haha. The magic smoke might get out.

Not too surprising, I suspect they use the industry standard 78XX for voltage regulation. They would likely need 5V for the electronics inside. 78XX (X = Volts you want) can regulate from 30-2V more than what you want.

They're also great for projects that you want to regulate from 24->12V ... only catch is they aren't for "high" current applications... usually less than 1.5A unless they are in a tin can case or something like that.

Not too surprising, I suspect they use the industry standard 78XX for voltage regulation. They would likely need 5V for the electronics inside. 78XX (X = Volts you want) can regulate from 30-2V more than what you want.

They're also great for projects that you want to regulate from 24->12V ... only catch is they aren't for "high" current applications... usually less than 1.5A unless they are in a tin can case or something like that.

Yeah, you're probably right. I design electronics for a living, and am very familiar with the 78xx linear regulators. Sometimes products have transient suppression that is designed for a specific input range though. This can go bad when raising voltage and the protection part starts to conduct.

On a side note, the DCDC converters like the one I linked to use switching regulators, so are very efficient and run relatively cool.

Yeah, you're probably right. I design electronics for a living, and am very familiar with the 78xx linear regulators. Sometimes products have transient suppression that is designed for a specific input range though. This can go bad when raising voltage and the protection part starts to conduct.

On a side note, the DCDC converters like the one I linked to use switching regulators, so are very efficient and run relatively cool.

Ok eaaasy guys....I at least know toshi is too short to be the Sheldon in this conversation..:flipoff2:

and btw, Young Steven, how do you have all this time to post on the interweb, when you're supposed to be finding us pictures of european cruisers and swedish girls?

Ok eaaasy guys....I at least know toshi is too short to be the Sheldon in this conversation..:flipoff2:

and btw, Young Steven, how do you have all this time to post on the interweb, when you're supposed to be posting pictures of european cruisers and swedish girls?

Yep ... supposed to but so far no cruisers... I will find some pictures of other things for oyu.

Nice with the guage. There is a 92 pathfinder on island4x4 for 400 right now...

thanks, checked it out. looks like a pretty good deal,it's an auto tho....

Not sure if I'm going to do a lhd swap or not, but I figger I may as well get a spare tranny out of the deal. Soon as I bought a parts truck, two weeks of SUCK would begin...so I'm feeling like putting that off. :lol:

Now that I've got it to where it's running good, I may leave well enough alone for a while...(famous last words. :rolleyes:)

Well since Ryan is slacking on the updates...... thought I might add:
3bdbf340c6f9c2e6d266e9a1c794038249df70d821cd01b86c9dd0f6cb97628f.jpg

Well since Ryan is slacking on the updates...... thought I might add:
3bdbf340c6f9c2e6d266e9a1c794038249df70d821cd01b86c9dd0f6cb97628f.jpg

Not quite new age enough, but yes, drove to work in peace and quiet, no howling sewing machines, no clouds of smoke, no rolling down the back window and craning my neck in order to merge, all while burning .5 the fuel.

Make no mistake, my vw is a butt ugly eyesore with redeeming qualities only visible to the frugal.

Cruiser time...:grinpimp: /thread.

There is indeed no replacement for a cruiser...but another cruiser. Sorry to hear the Nissan didn't work out, but glad to hear you are looking for a cruiser again. Good luck in your hunt. You're looking for a turn-key rig, or a project?

There is indeed no replacement for a cruiser...but another cruiser. Sorry to hear the Nissan didn't work out, but glad to hear you are looking for a cruiser again. Good luck in your hunt. You're looking for a turn-key rig, or a project?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom