In search of the elusive rear diff lock ecu (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone actually seen one of these in the wild? Searching around behind the glove box, even behind the engine ecu there's no sign of it. The FSM shows it floating in the middle of the dash (which makes it a little hard to locate). Should I take the center of the dash out? Can anybody help locate it?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444520437.411043.jpg

I found this diagram on a different site, not sure what year fsm it's from.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444577624.077952.jpg
Seems to show it in the passenger kick panel. I'll try to take a look today. When I was searching above the kick panel I did find the" tranny relay" which this diagram says is the diff lock relay. Another poster also mentioned they are one and the same. Can anyone confirm that?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444577835.852678.jpg
I think I'm hot on the trail.

Last edited:
The trail has run cold. I can't see anything either in the kick panel or behind then glove box that looks similar except for the "transmission relay". I take it no-one on this board actually followed the FSM troubleshooting steps if their rear actuator didn't work? I am reluctant to start unplugging and dissecting these computers until I know I need to.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1447628250.107273.jpg

This is the closest thing I could find per the diagram (upper left hand corner black box). It's behind this giant yellow monstrosity:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1447628321.602324.jpg

In the kick panel. Now the black box actually says ABS. So I'm reluctant to mess with it, but maybe they're just talking about the material it's made of?? Can anyone confirm or refute this being the object at the end of my frustration?

Ah, you still didn't find it? Do you have the FSM? The pic in the second post, the black relay, is the CDL relay, IIRC. I'll check the part # next time I'm in the garage.
We probably need to know which MY & month your cruiser is, as the many of the components have been moved around a bit.

(Yellow cables are for SRS. Airbags, belt tensioners and such)

The LC is a '99 but I don't even know how to find the month. I do have the FSM and all the vague information contained within I put in the above posts. It really hasn't been too helpful. Any help would be more than appreciated.

Thank you 40Habits. That gives me the confidence to dig it out. I guess the ABS printed on it really is the material it's made of.

Look at this parts list. Afaik, the number you list in the 4th post is the CDL relay, while the Rear (& front, for the 105) is the one marked with a color here: (very cryptic part names)
ScreenHunter_01 Nov. 16 18.16.gif

...and the ewd looks like this: (look at the conductors marked *2. Disregard the *1 ones, and the front/rear-ECU)

Attachments

• 456.pdf
    43.7 KB · Views: 726
The pdf that uHu posted above is a match for my 1999 USA LC with factory e-locker. (the *2 note is critical to making sense of it)
A huge help indeed as I couldn't find this schematic anywhere!

I still can't get my e-locker to work though. Has anybody here had the control relay (89533-60090) fail? In my testing that is what I'm coming up with. I can test all the actuator modes through the in cab connector at the control relay connector or at the actuator; motor runs either direction, both limit switches open and close as expected. I have all the signals present that I need at the control relay; ignition +12, ground via T-case switch, ground via wiring, +12 from locker dash control... but still no locker motor movements when connected.

I've made a couple of calls this morning and it seems like it happens but is exceedingly rare, both parts guys I talked with couldn't remember selling one and Toyota only shows 3 in all of North America. This tells me I may be missing something.

A new control is about $250 so before I buy it I want to be sure that's it... or I've missed something.

Anybody here ever have to change the control or know of any control failures?

EDIT: Control relay was OK, my testing above was all correct but when I lifted a tire and repeated the test the diff would not lock with the motor driven to either extreme... The actuator got another rebuild.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom