Hub Caps issue. Need guidance. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought today was going to be a good day. A few things were delivered for the 40 and I was anticipating a nice productive afternoon with the install of the items. Mainly, OEM hub caps.

My 40 came with 16" wheels and when I looked at purchasing HCs there was no info on size. I figure they were made to fit 15/16 inch wheels. The vendor assured me that the HCs would fit because they were OEM hub caps. long story short, they don't fit. I mean I cant even get the HC lip started on the wheel. opening. It's like the HC is about 1/8" to big (circumference). Do I just need to smack them in with a rubber mallet??

I know wheel clips (6 per wheel) have to be used to lock the caps tightly on the wheel, and I'll will buy them soon , but I don't think that has anything to do with my issue.

Here a few pics ..

Do y'all see anything out of the ordinary? Caps look good? I appreciate any advise.

I think I just figured it out. Looks like my wheels came on FJ40s sold from1965-1978. The HCs I bought are for wheels that came on FJ40s sold from 1969-1979.

Looks like I'm screwed trying to find caps for my 40... :(

That doesn’t look like a Toyota wheel, and it doesn’t even have clips on it so what are you trying to attach the hubcap to?

Big Jack D, the guy I got my FJ40 from, put a 76 hard top on the 72 tub (not suppose to fit). Anyway he said the purpose of hub caps is to keep the lug nuts clean so you can change the tire in crappy places. I think the HC on mine are from Lincoln Continental - he drilled big holes for the Warn hubs he installed in the front pair of caps. I might have a real LC HC that was on the spare - rims are 15".

Your wheels don't have any hub cap clips.
20220219_171317.jpg

Hubcaps look correct, but your wheels don't look like any Toyota wheel I've ever seen. Did you pull one to look on the back for manufacturer?

I'll pull it off tomorrow and check the manufacturer stamp. All 4 wheels are identical in design.

Well, there you go, South American spec 40, lots of little differences from a us spec truck, hope you got a decent rig. Most are quick restos with lots of short cuts. You can still buy toyota wheels new from the dealer, but only 15”. And cityracer has 16” but are pricey!
Explains a lot. Do you know if Dealer wheels come with clips installed? Or are there vendors that sell wheels with clips already installed?
I'll look at the ones from cityracer .

Thanks.!

Doesn't look like those wheels have the dimple to accommodate the drum retaining screw as found on factory wheels.

Definitively not a Land Cruiser wheel, probably not even Toyota.

Well, there you go, South American spec 40, lots of little differences from a us spec truck, hope you got a decent rig. Most are quick restos with lots of short cuts. You can still buy toyota wheels new from the dealer, but only 15”. And cityracer has 16” but are pricey!
Actually I think 16" is still available from Toyota, but without clips and with locking ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom