How would you build it ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys I need some advice, I purchased a 1996 fzj to build so I can take my wife and three kids to our cabin in the winter. It will need good road manners for about 50 mi with some steep mountain grades . My driveway is the challenge ! I need it to go about 600 yards uphill with one switchback and about 1-11/2 ft of powder. It does have factory diff locks. I don't really need a rock buggy monster but I want the most performance from the platform that I can get. I would really like to hear you're suggestions. Thanks in advance

Service history?
217k, good shape fluides maintained by po, drives well , 165 lbs all cylinders, trans shifts good has clean ATF, never been off road in its life . I'm a diesel tech so I looked it over well . The closed knuckles are a little greasy but not dripping.. Tires dry rotted from sitting .

Including all that's been said, don't forget about the exhaust. If you slide off in a ditch or for whatever reason need to keep warm and stay inside the vehicle, negative fumage.

I ran Blizzaks in New England the whole time I lived there. Pretty amazing tires. Chains are always a good back up. I would agree that Blizzaks and chains would get you up the hill.

X2 on the tires and 4wd and any additional PM you think you need. Congrats on your purchase :clap:

yep. Good winter tires will get you there. Chains as a backup. If you know it's going to be deep, you may want to stop at the bottom of the driveway and air down the tires. For snow in the 1-2' range, the stock cruiser should plow through just fine, but I've always thought 255/85r16 would be a good size for snow duty because it will cut down to the road surface a little easier and also gives you a little more clearance under the axle than stock.

I'd suggest a Center Diff Lock switch which allows you to lock it up in 4Hi.. the viscous coupler in the center diff will do a pretty good job in snow and frankly make the switchback less sketchy (than if it was locked), but I could see a CDL switch coming in handy, and very easy to install.

Also maybe an on-board-air setup. If you know airing back up is quick and simple, you'll be much more likely to get out and air down in the first place, which can help a LOT in the deep stuff.

I'd suggest a Center Diff Lock switch which allows you to lock it up in 4Hi.. the viscous coupler in the center diff will do a pretty good job in snow and frankly make the switchback less sketchy (than if it was locked), but I could see a CDL switch coming in handy, and very easy to install.

Also maybe an on-board-air setup. If you know airing back up is quick and simple, you'll be much more likely to get out and air down in the first place, which can help a LOT in the deep stuff.
I found some hazzard switches from 91 pickups at the local pick and pull. Will these work for the cdl ? Where can I find a gooood factory manual ? Could anyone tell me what the stock ride height is ? I can't find another lc up here to measure , I'm wondering if it has been lifted ? The 265/70//16 seem small. Thanks for the advice on everything. II really wanna see how well she does in the snow this year. All my experience has been with a cj5 ( lockers d60 36 swampers) many years ago. My new dodge 2500 doesn't do that good lol

265/70r16 is about an inch smaller than stock. Stock size is 275/70r16 and a common stockish replacement size is 265/75r16.

I found some hazzard switches from 91 pickups at the local pick and pull. Will these work for the cdl ? Where can I find a gooood factory manual ?

I'm not sure about that year exactly but if it is the rectangular one it is close.. You'll just need to trim one tab inside the switch to get the plug to seat. Thing is it'll look just like the factory hazard switch, right next to the factory hazard switch in your dash. There are guys selling new CDL switch faces to relabel it.. Don't know a lot about how to track them down on here tho.

FSM and EWD available on here.. Search "manual" "for a good price" for an index of the different years and models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom