how to tell if i have stock axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nobody knows WTF this thing is, my curiousity is sparked and the thread is drifting into oblivion.

bump

Stay tuned i will reveal the secret later today, i will open it up and take some pics
/Sören
Btw. are you swedish too, according to your username?

This is what i found while opening it up. I have increased knowledge in transmission but as far as i understand this is a difflock, There is a fork that slides to the right and locks the splines.
P6283517.jpg
P6283519.jpg
P6283518.jpg

Wow!!! Not a 60-series cable locker, or an 80-series elocker, thats for sure!. Definitely not a custom job, even the housing is made for that.

Whats the width of the axle? Are you sure thats a 9" ring gear?

Whoo Hoo arm chair engineering wins again!!

There has to be some sort of marking on that to indicate who makes it.

It definitely looks like the axle was cut to make the locker fit.

Whoo Hoo arm chair engineering wins again!!

There has to be some sort of marking on that to indicate who makes it.

It definitely looks like the axle was cut to make the locker fit.

You're right that the clearanced areas have a rough cut, but the shape of the flange is wrong for a cruiser axle - stock axles have round diff covers, while that thing has a housing with a flange that extends way down the tube to clear the fork. Thatd be a lot of work - someone loved this thing a lot, or thats stock from some unknown application... ??????

This may be telling - was that a paper gasket on there (with the proper shape) or was it all silicone/gasket maker?

You're right that the clearanced areas have a rough cut,

This may be telling - was that a paper gasket on there (with the proper shape) or was it all silicone/gasket maker?

there has been a cutout in the cover and some rough grinding to the left besides that it all looks stock, no there was no gasket just some slicone,

Actually look at these pictures closely. I think this might be a completely custom job. Look at the throw out fork, it is not machined and looks hand made. I really think someone made this from scratch.

Any way you can contact the previous owner Cruiser68? You really need to find out more about this thing because if it ever breaks you are up the creek without a paddle.

I am going to keep bumping this to the top till someone can figure out what was done here.

I am going to keep bumping this to the top till someone can figure out what was done here.
I went to have a closer look and it sure looks like there is a stock axle that has been rebuilt, not that i have seen many stock axles but while looking under the bodymass on the lower side of the axle i can see two seems from welding . Are there any stamps or numbers on stock axles that i can look for? I can take some more photos later if you want to.
/Sören

Take some more pics and look not on the axle, but on the locker parts themselves for numbers or writting.

Hi All:

This is an interesting thread! :beer:

Could this be some oddball early prototype cable 'locker imported one-off from Japan and installed in this rig?

The modification to the axle tube looks a bit crude, while the diff cover looks less home-made, more shop-built.

An interesting mystery any way you look at it! ;)

Regards,

Alan

Take some more pics and look not on the axle, but on the locker parts themselves for numbers or writting.

I am out of town in work at the moment but will get home friday, i will try to find any clues. Ive been thinking bout contacting the preowner but as far as i know he is only finnish spoken which i dont speak, but maybe there are any finnish spoken reading this thread that are willing to help

ok here is the pic . I guess this is what you mean with shaped profile, right?

I think that is the narrower (more normal) type drum, bit hard to tell with the full frontal shot, I will try to get a photo of the other type.

Just guessing here, but the "locker" has a military/ag flavor to it, I would go with prototype stuff.

My .02

are you sure that is a locker looks like there is a bunch of spider gears in there ,like an unlocked diff.

oem 80 series lockers and ARB's both have spider gears. they have to otherwise there wouldnt be a whole lot of value of the unlocked position...

what the collar is accomplishing is locking the axle shaft to the carrier, so no movement is possible. this locks the spider gears, and consequently the other side axle shaft too.

thanks for the clarification i was comparing it to a lunchbox locker .
so does it only power the one wheel in the unlocked position ,the same wheel all the time i mean ,or can the power transfer from one wheel to the other doesn't look like it can with that axle being disconnected. :grinpimp:
oem 80 series lockers and ARB's both have spider gears. they have to otherwise there wouldnt be a whole lot of value of the unlocked position...

what the collar is accomplishing is locking the axle shaft to the carrier, so no movement is possible. this locks the spider gears, and consequently the other side axle shaft too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom