How to protect oneself from overreaching Mechanic's liens? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Here in California, and likely in other states, there are apparently very strong laws about mechanic's liens on house work. As in if a contractor doesn't get paid he can put a lien on your house. Fair enough if applied judiciously.
However, it gets potentially nightmarish when it comes to subcontractors.
For instance, I will have my house fumigated. The pest control company will not do anything, they just subcontract to a fumigation company and tack on a fee. Annoying enough but there seems to be no choice. Where it can get bad is if I pay the pest control company but they don't pay their subcontractor -the fumigation company. Because the subcontractors can -I believe- still put a lien on the house even though I'd fully paid the contractor. Not very likely if I choose well but there is something very wrong with this scenario in principle. And the same goes for any work done by a general contractor I imagine.
So how do I protect myself if need be? One thought comes to mind and that is to make 2 checks: one to the pest control company and one to the fumigation company, but I kind of doubt the pest control company will go with that as it will reveal their fee. Some sort of release? Other ways to deal with this?
Or would I have enough recourse after the fact if the contractor is bonded?
Thoughts?

Have you addressed this concern with the prime contractor? Definitely address it with the sub before they start any work.

That's easy

A written receipt from the pest guy paid in full. Then the sub has to get the money from the principal guy.

This scary and not that uncommon. I found out I had a leave on my home for something that had nothing to do with me. Had a cousin with a pet grooming business. He lost someone's dog. Owner took him to court and got a five hundred dollar judgement against him. Didn't paid and person put a lien on my house. Same last name but his name is Jerome and my is John. He goes by Jay and court just used J and the last name. Cousin had other problems and his house was in his wife's name only. Only found out it was there because when applying for a pool loan the credit union said my credit was all good except for the lien I knew nothing about. Good the court to ammend the judgement to Jerome since he signed the document in court with his full name. Took a day off work getting it straightened out. Bothered me the court did not nodify me a able the loan. I didn't sell the house for almost thirty years after that. Nothing came up but not sure how I would have handle if I did. Hard to say if the court would even have the record I got ammended.

Having a very good attorney on retainer is very handy to have. They will send a letter to the sub contractor informing them they better understand the procedure of the law, not just the intent.

The sub contractor just can't slap a lien on whatever they want, maybe in California, but the procedure of the law must be followed or they open themselves up to liability.

A good attorney will clear this up ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom