How to: 1HZ CT26 turbo install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmm, I've had a bit of a look on google. It's a bit inconclusive, I saw one setup that used a banjo on the drain plug as the oil return. Most of the guys that had issues with oil returns had the turbo mounted low with a very shallow angle on the return line whereas the return from my turbo is quite steep. Either way I'll run it and see how it goes, if I get oil backing up and excessive consumption I will look into moving the oil return. When I rebuild the motor I will be drilling and tapping the block to run the stock oil feed and return lines anyway.

I drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold for the egt probe directly above the inlet for the turbo, I figured this would give the most accurate reading.
View attachment 1120303
View attachment 1120307
Here is a photo of the modified oil inlet/outlet. The inlet is designed to take a braided steel line from a tee at the oil pressure sender, outlet was changed to 3/4 to make it easier to find hose and fittings for it to drain into the sump.
View attachment 1120308

Hi there guys . ! can some one tell me the part # for that hard pipe you got from Toyota ..

The heater line above the thermostat

can some one tell me the part # OEM, FOR THE TURBO VERSION
I need one for my same conversion .
Thanks ..
Apolo1100

HERE SOME PICS OF MY CONVERSION IN PROGRESS..
now i'm stuck now due to the heater pipe coming out from top of the thermost.

WP_20151201_09_24_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20151130_17_47_09_Pro.jpg

Hi there guys . ! can some one tell me the part # for that hard pipe you got from Toyota ..

The heater line above the thermostat

can some one tell me the part # OEM, FOR THE TURBO VERSION
I need one for my same conversion .
Thanks ..
Apolo1100

I have no idea on part numbers, I just went to my local dealership and pointed out what I wanted on the parts diagram on their computer.

Feedback on the setup so far:

Running 10psi boost
Max EGT readings I can push out with my current fuel setting is about 500*C, I haven't had it tuned or on a dyno as yet.
It will hold 4th gear at 100kph up moderate hills, happily does 110kph all day on the motorway.
No issues so far with the oil return from the turbo.
The diaphragm in the fuel filter housing/primer pump has perished so it has a little fuelling issue at high rpm.

It isn't making crazy power but I can overtake now and hold speed up hills that previously slowed me down by 20kph. Also still getting around 12 - 13L per 100km with the roof rack.

All in all its been a winner, I have a 1HDT gearbox ready to install after Christmas so it will be interesting to see how it drives with slightly different 1st and 2nd gears and a new clutch.

here some more pics from the HZ .
I just in the waiting time for the heater pipe #1 they call it, and water pump pulley from soudi..
let's hope I can get it soon.
Happy holidays to all ..!
Apolo

WP_20151207_19_08_39_Pro.jpg

WP_20151207_19_09_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20151209_12_36_23_Pro.jpg

Update: after several thousand km the low mounted oil return line is fine. Absolutely no issues with the turbo or the motor apart from my intake manifold gaskets weeping, which is no huge surprise for 22 year old gaskets.

Currently I am working on a supra hybrid turbo which I hope to have fitted in the next few weeks.

Hey mate, what brass fitting did you use for your oil feed?

I did mean to update the first few posts of this with more details but never seem to find the time. Now I can't even remember exactly what I used, I do know the thread in the block is 1/8" BSPT.

Edited with correct info.

Last edited:
I've just started an update to the first few posts of this thread, added part numbers for all the genuine items I bought. At the moment I am in the planning/purchasing stages for stage 2 of my 1hz-t; installing a hybrid CT26 from a supra with the 1HD-T turbine housing, Mamba 11 blade compressor wheel and adjustable waste gate actuator. Also looking at a better flowing airbox and intake and installing a 3" exhaust system

I have been having some overheating and high egt issues while under load in the last couple of thousand KM of driving, I think predominantly related to a cheap aftermarket fan hub and weak radiator cap. I will be addressing this at the same time as installing the new turbo.

Also looking at a better flowing airbox
How much boost do you plan to run. The stock airbox still flows well @ 23psi. If you don't plan on going above this, spend your money elsewhere.

The mamba wastegate actuator I bought has a 14psi spring, I'm going to try that first. After I get an intercooler I'll step up to the 19 or 21psi Spring.

I'm sure it would still see benefits from improved aircleaner flow, even at lower boost levels. The improved airbox will come along after everything else is done.

Just got home after 2 months away working. Time to make some progress. The new oil supply for the supra turbo will draw from a sandwich plate under the oil filter, this is unfiltered oil so it will go through its own separate filter before heading to the turbo, I used a filter mounting bracket with adapters for my 7/16" jic fittings. The filter bracket is a universal type so it will hold a variety of different filters, just to make it easy to find replacements. A bit of 30x3mm aluminium flat bar allowed me to mount it to the intake manifold.
image.jpeg

Why the new oil supply? My CT26 is fed filtered oil from the block. Seems to work fine

What intercooler are you considering? Top mount or front, WTA or ATA?

Why the new oil supply? My CT26 is fed filtered oil from the block. Seems to work fine

What intercooler are you considering? Top mount or front, WTA or ATA?

I had concerns about the amount of weight hanging from the small port only designed for the pressure sender. I've seen reports of fittings breaking off from the block after long trips on corrugated roads. The sandwich plate also gives provision for an aftermarket oil pressure sender, since my stock gauge cluster only has a low oil pressure warning light I would like to have an actual pressure reading. I'll update more today as I make progress.

I picked up a water to air setup second hand, intercooler is a frozen boost type 10 and the heat exchanger is 12x24".

Got the supra ct26 turbo in this morning. Had to pull the whole manifold out to swap the turbo, rather frustrating. The sandwich plate I got doesn't have the right size adapter so after a bit more research I found one the right size. Won't be here in time before I go away on my next trip so it will have to wait.

The mamba wastegate actuator was also a pain to fit. Had to die grind the mount holes out to get it to sit out far enough to clear the turbine housing and the rod was far too short, when I have time I'll make a longer rod so I can play with adjustments a bit more.

Didn't get many photos as its been a busy few days.
image.jpeg

Got the supra ct26 turbo in this morning. Had to pull the whole manifold out to swap the turbo, rather frustrating. The sandwich plate I got doesn't have the right size adapter so after a bit more research I found one the right size. Won't be here in time before I go away on my next trip so it will have to wait.

The mamba wastegate actuator was also a pain to fit. Had to die grind the mount holes out to get it to sit out far enough to clear the turbine housing and the rod was far too short, when I have time I'll make a longer rod so I can play with adjustments a bit more.

Didn't get many photos as its been a busy few days.
View attachment 1327486

Also interested in the wastegate actuator set up you have. Was there a particular reason for going with the mamba one? I'm currently building my own supra 7mgte/ landcruiser ct26 hybrid and haven't decided what wastegate actuator to run yet.

Also interested in the wastegate actuator set up you have. Was there a particular reason for going with the mamba one? I'm currently building my own supra 7mgte/ landcruiser ct26 hybrid and haven't decided what wastegate actuator to run yet.

The genuine parts were bought from Bill Robertson Toyota in Gladstone.

Not a huge fan of the mamba wastegate actuator I bought, it took a fair amount of die grinding to make it fit and it seems to be having issues with sticking, it's very inconsistent. It overboosted the other day and has been putting out low boost since. I'm looking into a replacement at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom