How much grease? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone
I am servicing the front axles and brakes on my LJ78. Does anyone know how many OZs of grease each cv joint would need for a complete repack.
Thanks

About a pound each side.

About a pound each side.
Last weekend I got this far using about 2/3 of a tube of grease;
  • CV/Birfield packing
  • Upper and lower knuckle bearing packing
IMG_6601.jpeg

The rest of the tube will go in the knuckle, and according to the Factory Service Manual it needs to be 3/4 full. It would have been nice if they said, “pump an additional 300g of grease into the knuckle.”, but 3/4 full it is 🤷‍♂️
IMG_6609.jpeg

I’m using Shell Rotella for my grease. It comes in 400g tubes. 1 lb = 454g for our non-Metric friends!
IMG_6610.jpeg

The CV takes up a lot of space in the knuckle, but I think I’ll need more grease than what’s left in the one tube. So, three tubes is my estimate … for both sides … for the CVs, knuckle bearings and knuckles.

I’ll tell you for sure by the end of next weekend :D

Ok great. Thanks for the tips. I have 5 4oz tubes of cv joint grease. Ill pack one side 3/4 full and see how much more Ill need for side 2.

Ok looks like doing both sides takes about 20oz. I had 5 4oz tubes and still have bit left over. I used regular wheel bearing grease to pack the new wheel bearings. That was quite the job. Im glad I only have to do it once every ten years.

I used the rest of the tube of grease. It looks like I packed the knuckle full enough.
IMG_6617.jpeg

So, for one side, I used one 400g/14oz tube of lithium based moly grease (Shell Rotella SD) for the CV/birfield, knuckle bearings, and knuckle.

For the wheel bearings and hub, I used about 40% of a tube of red lithium based wheel bearing grease (Shell Rotella HD) for the one side.
IMG_6626.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom