Home brew Laptop stand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was messing around in the garage yesterday and decided to make a laptop stand. I had an old easy up that was going in to the trash so I decided to use the metal to create this. Little welding its good to go. I drove to work with the laptop in place to see how much it would move around on regular highway driving. It's pretty solid. Need to make a small arm to hold the lid open and some hold down tabs. Flash was a little bright on the pics.

Putting in an order tonight for Overland Navigator software and USB GPS puck.
Laptop Holder 001.jpg
Laptop Holder 004.jpg
Laptop Holder 005.jpg

Nice. Laptop looks like a Lenovo X201? I'm typing on one now. Interested to hear how this holds up. I have used RAM mounts and one of the major differences I can see from the photos (correct me if i'm wrong) is that the RAM bolts to both of the front seat mounts, creating a very stable platform. Your solution is of course much less expensive. You mentioned creating an arm for the lid. The RAM mounts have an adjustable mount that let you change the angle. I would recommend this. 90% of the time I use the same angle but once in a while I change it because of sun glare etc.

Edit: Just saw the IBM logo. must be a precursor to the X201. FWIW, I would recommend the X201 for anyone that is looking for a vehicle laptop. They are Mil spec and not too expensive. We use them in a fleet of vehicles that are driven mostly off road and they hold up great.

Its an older X22 IBM. Very thin and light. I had it laying around and figured it would work for this purpose. Thanks for the idea with the adjustable arm. I'll incorporate that in when I make it.

Its not to bad for the passenger. Passenger legs actually are below the unit

nice set up any vibrations at highway speeds? also what are you using for your internet connection? air card?

Little vibration when I hit bumps. going to put a brace on that connects to the other bolt on seat. I use a verizon USB for Internet, but its mainly for USB GPS puck and maps.

Looks good. I work out of the car and have a Jotto Desk Brand Stand. Works incredibly well, take a look at their website and you will get some additional ideas (bicycle type quick releases, etc.) With my first one, about 10 years ago, their floor mounts were not as robust, so I welded my own. I believe they have remedied this since then.

After years of using them, I have completely ditched the hold down tabs and starting using one small strip of hook and loop (velcro) along the back edge to hold the computer in place. It works much better. Be sure and put the loop side on the laptop so when you place the laptop on your lap, you don't have the hook grabbing your clothes, skin, etc.

Is the lid giving you trouble staying up? I have not had this issue, just some extra movement on one of my computers (Austin, TX. Manufactured) that was not as well built as the one you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom