Hitch receiver integrated into bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to start building a rear bumper/tire carrier. I know there are a lot of threads on this already. But one thing I haven't found is the subject of integrating a hitch into a rear bumper. I can buy a bolt on hitch from man-a-fre, ccot, sor, or even JTO... Or I can weld a receiver into the bumper I'm about to build. What are the pros and cons of integrated a receiver into the bumper?

Pros, its cheaper, nothing hanging down low, should be stronger, will look better.

Cons, more work, really tall hitch height, personal liability if something should go wrong while towing...

All I plan on towing is a snowmobile or 2. I probably shouldn't be to concerned with this anyway. The bumper will be similiar to this. Main tube is 3.5x3.5 square, .25 wall. Opinions?

The one I got from SOR was pretty stout. The four bolts on either side are for the 45deg cross members.
todays pics 007DOC.jpg

I have one like that as well, and it's seen the smart end of a tow strap too many times and is doing bad things to my Crossmember, I know my crossmember isn't stock, but if you are going to be doing some serious tugging, I would find something mounted to a bumper rather than cantilevered off the crossmember. I once towed a 21' boat with my 40, and the hitch was fine, I wouldn't do it again though.

ahhh, yeah I forgot to mention my members are replacements I had fabed out of 3/8 steel...

FWIW, here's what I did.

With taillight protection integrated as well.
DSC01543 (Large).jpg
DSC01544 (Large).jpg
DSC01546 (Large).jpg

Hard to see how it is integrated in this photo, but I cut a hole through the rear crossmember and the receiver goes through that and is welded to the bottom 2x2 of the tire carrier.

:cheers:Thanks for the pics, Ramon. That's exactly how I was going to make mine ! Nice job. Alex

Integrated Hitch With Con-Ferr Tube Bumper

Here's how I did mine. It works great.

I know it's different than your setup, but it might help someone else with a slightly different configuration.

The round tube bumper is cut out, and the square tube hitch (bolted to frame) is set into it (and welded into the tube).

Hed to buy a big dropdown hitch to tow anything level, though.

Rocky

Rear_View.JPG

Rear_View_2.JPG
Rear_View.JPG
Rear_View_2.JPG

I did the same thing as fj40er, except I removed the angled gussets on the back side of the rear cross member/bumper and added a new cross member going from frame rail to frame rail behind the rear cross member/bumper. I left enuff room between cross members, so it is easy to install the reciever pin. Then I lengthened the back end of the reciever so it would reach the new cross member and welded it up, so the rear cross member/bumper could not be bowed out regardless of what I was yanking on. I've been abusing it for 15yrs or more, w/no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom