Highwater Mark Trail - Spring 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great to hear Will from videos and articles I've read this is a good one. Welcome to join us Lenny would be great to have you bud. I needed forgiveness from my little lady (daughter's 15th birthday on 17th) she gave it to me and the boss cleared me for it as well so its looking like a go for my end.

My friend had a family emergency, so we postponed the trip and haven't rescheduled yet.

I'm thinking I might have to tag along with you guys!!!

Would be glad to have you with us

LOoks like an awesome trail. Gonna try to convince Al to take the week and go. Gonna be hard to get him on a trail for 80(?) miles.

Update: I've ran into a few different routes so I emailed Jayston over at the Overland Guild who has done several of the maps and has run the route many times from my reading he is the authority on the area. I've asked him for some guidance and pointers discussing the routes and can revise my agenda and call a dinner meeting with those wanting to go to sit down and discuss the trip :)

Offline Map App I read about in the Overland forums and downloaded the area to import the route.
MAPS.ME – Map & GPS Navigation - Android Apps on Google Play

Different routes.
High Water Mark

HWM15Public

Screenshot 2017-01-26 09.52.56.png

Jayston said:

The caltopo one is the newest update. I recall it avoids some issue areas and improved dirt to create a better, more back country feel. You expect about 1/2 day green, 1 day red and 1/2-3/4 day blue. That's giving plenty of time to enjoy the scenery and food. If you are planning by mileage, 75-90 miles of trail heavy travel will be a full day. The larger the group, the lower the mileage.

The caltopo link is designed for the 1st time Ozark explorer, and it is the one I recommend. With that said, I have not had a group on it in its entirety since April of 16 so the difficulty and minor routing may have changed. I encourage your group to equip yourself with a tablet based GPS and the USFS maps similar to the caltopo maps so you can reroute easily when needed. BCNav and Gaia have been reliable for us in the past.

Can't sit down this week but whats a better day for you all to sit down Wednesday evening or Friday evening. I have Scouts Monday, Bootcamps Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday Morning so those two days work best for me.

Dates for this trip will be April 17th - 21st, Driving days will be the 17th and 21st, 3 Days on the trail 18th - 20th. We'll have a follow-up dinner on March 26th to discuss meal plans and packing list :cheers:

Downloading software to the new tablet for Overland navigation I found the following two apps complimentary of each other and free so far. Maps.Me app allowed me to import Jaystons .kml file to follow his track, the US Topo Maps app won't allow you to import .kml without paying for the pro version but it will show you a different Topo view and also record your route so I will run both apps while running the trail one recording our route while following the other if it will work that way. I will do a test run to see :) I read navigation articles on several Overland forums including these looking at what others were using. I've overwhelmingly read Gaia is the go to app by many but at $20 I was being cheap after buying the tablets, MinSD, case, mount bla, bla but eventually may get it if I see its that much better.

Overland Navigation: New Opportunities with Tablets
Essential Apps for Overland Travel - Great American Trek
Our Navigation App of Choice - Gaia GPS - 4X Overland Adventures

Maybe a decal for the trip

Drawing1.jpg

Pack and Prep meeting 3/26 5pm, Pizza Village

Man I hope I get my cruiser ready in time!

Its gonna be a great trip bud. It looks like you're making good progress. For me the time consuming stuff was the little things gaskets, seals and mostly the cleanup. I also did away with the EGR and pollution parts and all that is custom so it took time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom