High praise for the Pioneer speaker replacement behind stock grille! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WOW! those 4" Pioneer's are selling at Amazon.com for $27 now..no tax & free shipping. Can't beat that!

Installed Pioneer TS-G1643R & G1043R door speakers

I finally finished installing the door speakers last night with OEM grill look:

Here is my daugther's 14 years old LX450 (1997).

1. Pop up the window control knob's panel at armrest & disconnect the elect. plug.
DSCN0008.jpg
DSCN0009.jpg

Remove that triangular pastic thingy behind the rear view mirror. Be gentle with that 14 year old plastic rivet, I broke it & will use 3m tape to stick it back later.

Remove the door lever's plastic trim & the little screw.
DSCN0010.jpg
DSCN0011.jpg

Picture exceeded quota, what!

you need to buy a star to post unlimited pics.

You just buy a silver star for $20.00 for the whole year and you can post as many pics as you like. There are other benefits too like very expanded email as well. It is like a membership but also supports the community. There should be a place on most screens where you can do this.

You mean I have to pay to post pictures to contribute to this forum, that's not right! I will post more pictures when I reach 100 posts then.

Okay, you guys need to ask more questions.

Take those 2 screws out under the leather armrest and the other big screw at the big door handle and unplug the door control thingy.
DSCN0013.jpg
DSCN0015.jpg

Now got the door panel removed by using door panel remover with Y-shape end (got it from Amazon for $8). Work along the edge of the panel, as you find the rivet, pop it out one by one, then lift up the door panel.

Here is a close up of the OEM pioneer speakers (not paper though, it's the upgraded LX version).
DSCN0016.jpg
DSCN0017.jpg
DSCN0019.jpg

Last edited:
A comparison of the OEM Pioneer (Made in Japan) and the new 6.5" Pioneer (Made in Vietnam)

Then I cut off the wires of the OEM's and spliced them with mechanical coupler to the new wires of the Pioneer. In my case, brown is +ve and black is -ve from the OEM. So black to black and you can't go wrong.
DSCN0020.jpg
DSCN0021.jpg
DSCN0022.jpg

Last edited:
I stuck some Dynamat inside the speaker hole on the door panel's sheet metal and you can also see the window's guard rail.

I taped some weathering strips at the rear of the magnet to stop the metal to metal pounding between the speaker and the window's guard rail. Then plug in the wires of the speakers to the stock's plugs.
DSCN0023.jpg
DSCN0024.jpg
DSCN0025.jpg

Last edited:
I used about 3 of those faucet's washers to make a 3/8" spacer for the speakers and taped a few layers of weathering strips around the perimeter of the holes.

The speakers fitted right on the 4 holes.. voila!

Before you put the door panel back, tighten all the screws of the back panel first!... lots of loosen screws after 14 years of driving!
DSCN0026.jpg
DSCN0027.jpg
DSCN0028.jpg

Mission complete!!

Can you hear the Bass!:clap:
DSCN0029.jpg
DSCN0030.jpg

Rear door speakers with OEM grill

You don't have to remove the door panel for the rear speakers. Just pop out the OEM grill & unscrew the speaker's. then cut out the plastic housing while keep the perimeter ring intact.

Cut the OEM's speaker's wires.

use a baffler for better seal.
DSCN0031.jpg
DSCN0032.jpg
DSCN0033.jpg

Drill 2 holes that will line up with the new speakers (see the red dots!)

Lots of Dynamite!
DSCN0034.jpg
DSCN0035.jpg
DSCN0036.jpg

Splice the wires, again black to black in my case. I also glued the baffler to the plastic ring with some adhesive and poked a small hole for the wires.

Now line up the 3 holes & cut off the extra ear that you don't need.
DSCN0037.jpg
DSCN0038.jpg
DSCN0039.jpg

All 3 screws (extra long!!) are in...Voila! a piece of cake!
DSCN0040.jpg
DSCN0041.jpg

Great pics, thanks for posting Yardbird. You've inspired me to try this in the fall

Great pics, thanks for posting Yardbird. You've inspired me to try this in the fall

I have to thanks this forum for all the valuable contributions by various members. I couldn't have done it without this forum. Still waiting for the dash infinity speakers to come in next week & will try to install that too.

The treble, voice & bass are considerably better than the old Pioneer's overall. It's worth $100 plus labor!:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom