GX460 vs 470. Can't decide. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 470 on the way. 2006, 81K miles. I have not paid but it's on the way anyway. It arrives in a couple days. No obligation to buy it. Then today a 2010 shows up with 95,000 on it for $7500 more. I Kinda prefer the classic style of the 470. I know the basics about the 460 but not a lot about the type of air suspension, etc. I basically want a comfortable SUV for explore back country 4wd roads her in Colorado. I would never lift it more then 2" or so. Is the 2010 worth it? It's more money and more miles. I don't want a nightmare in repairs and the 470 seems more basic and the 460 more complicated. Am I just biased.

The base package with the GX460 does not include any suspension leveling features, so you've got a basic spring and shock setup. It may have been an option on some base packages, and then KDSS is standard on the premium and luxury packages.

It's hard to say if its worth it for you and your needs. The 2010 will have more electronics, which can be good for things like maps, bluetooth, and music, but maybe bad for troubleshooting issues? The 4.6L engine has more HP and will be more responsive. The 460 will have a more modern interior, and maybe feel a bit more spacious. Seats that both heat and cool. :)

The 470 has a more classic build for an SUV, with more parts accessibility across the 4Runner, Tundra, LC and GX. Shift into 4Lo instead of push button. Likely better approach and departure angles (needs verification). And maybe you'd be less worried about "using" your 470 and getting a scratch or two on it vs. the 460?

There's nothing yet that's demonstrated the 460 has quality issues, but at the same time it's not been tested much past daily driver duties. The one issue I've seen a pattern on is the secondary air pump failures - pretty easy fix though and probably something I'd do proactively with 95k on the clock.

Thanks.

The 460 was weird. The seat leather was HORRIBLE. Never seen a older Lexus with Leather that bad. It was perforated. I think that causes it to not wear as well. I will stay with 09 and older I think.

Interesting point about the seat leather. Even conditioning the leather regularly I will say I don't expect the outside bolster (on the lower/ flat portion of drivers seat) to last forever. It seems like the foam that provides the shape deforms then will eventually cause issues. I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal on a replacement lower seat cover from Lexus just to keep on hand, but clearly those deals are far and few between.

Was there any areas that wore worse than others on the vehicle you saw?

Does the 470 have nav? If yes, I personally wouldn't buy it because of the outdated maps and archaic functionality that can't be replaced.

Go with a 470. I would never buy a 460. The 4.7L is bullet proof where the 4.6l is full of problems. $2k for clogged air injection pumps, no thanks.

"Full of problems"? Not really.

With the 4.7L (not sure about the 4.6L) you can buy a by-pass kit for the secondly air pump as long as you don't already have the problem.

not sure, there is information out there about it. I never had a problem, but I have already added the by-pass

I am sure the person who started this thread has already decided on a vehicle, but I also debated this and went with a GX460.

GX460 benefits:
1. Base model with standard suspension. Easier to upgrade and change out.
2. KDSS standard. No need to search around for a GX470 with KDSS.
3. Aux input and bluetooth. I know this sounds dumb, but given that you cannot upgrade the head unit of the GX470 makes this important
4. All the new safety features. Better for the wife and kids
5. AC seats standard. If you live in a warm climate you will love this feature
6. More HP and 6 speed transmission. Better MPG and more range.
7. Back window opens separately from door

GX470 benefits:
1. Cheaper, much cheaper
2. Larger community building these, many more aftermarket parts (I think this is pretty important)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom