GROM VLine - Google apps/Android&iPhone integration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going to email them today and find out.

@GXLee Any update on how it worked for you?

Well this is puzzling; on their website it is showing the Infotainment system in 3 versions, with overlapping years covered by each version:

2003-2005 - SKU: VL1-LEX3

2004-2006 - SKU: VL1-LEX4

2005-2008 - SKU: VL1-LEX5

GROM-VL1 Lexus Toyota Infotainment System

As I have a 2005, it appears that all 3 versions work with mine. WTFO? I would have no idea which one to buy, and I DO want to get this system.

Well this is puzzling; on their website it is showing the Infotainment system in 3 versions, with overlapping years covered by each version:

2003-2005 - SKU: VL1-LEX3

2004-2006 - SKU: VL1-LEX4

2005-2008 - SKU: VL1-LEX5

GROM-VL1 Lexus Toyota Infotainment System

As I have a 2005, it appears that all 3 versions work with mine. WTFO? I would have no idea which one to buy, and I DO want to get this system.

I don't believe that is accurate. It is my understanding that the key is that number at the end of the SKU, which indicates the "generation" of the nav system. So I would expect your 05 has a gen4 nav, (just like my 06).

Wow, looks like they're selling a 2003 compatible version now - I'm going to chat with them to make sure it will work with my '03 LC...

So correct me if I'm wrong. By it appears they went away from offering full apple CarPlay or android auto and just running android 5.1. Basically making the head unit an android tablet.

I downloaded the user manual and didn't see any mention of CarPlay.

Need GXlee to confirm. In a couple of the photos it looks like CarPlay. And the other looks like an android UI.

Just gott off a chat with tech support at VLine - I'm going to need to send them pics of the front and back (along with part number stickers) on my 03 LC nav unit, head unit, and screen as they're not sure yet if the 03' LX and 03LC wavs systems are the same - he said he *thinks* the LX moved a generation ahead in '03 while the LC stayed the same as '02.

TL;DR: As an Android phone user, I highly suggest others wait until improvements are made. I did an early pre-purchase price of $300 and even at that price, I would not buy this system. It's priced at $500 right now.

I posted this on a Lexus forum and came across this thread so I thought you all might want to hear my opinion. I just installed my VLine two days ago. Here are the issues I've experienced so far (system is fully up-to-date as of 10/30/16):
  1. I added the GApps and I know the manual said it would be slower but whoa is it slow.
  2. The CPU Quad Core Cortex-A7 MCU 1.35GHz is really slow. I would easily pay up $100 for the fastest Snapdragon chip (or similar).
  3. The system once got stuck in the ANDROID boot screen. The only way to fix it was to pull over, turn off the ignition, wait, and then turn on the ignition again.
  4. A2DP does not experience smooth playback. It skips around sometimes (not in an extremely annoying way but definitely noticeable).
  5. A2DP track names were off by one, so when I hit the next track button on my steering wheel the next song would play but the display would still show the previous track's name. The only fix was to get out of the Vline mode by hitting CD and then hop back into Vline mode by hitting CD again. Track art does not get displayed (using my phone's Spotify app).
  6. The Vline native vSpotify app runs into some issues when I attempt to play music under YOUR LIBRARY>SONGS. It won't even let me access the songs in order to play them. Instead I receive some error (will take note of the exact error and update this later).
  7. I downloaded the Google Play's Spotify app and I'm unable to click on the LOG IN button; I can tap on the SIGN UP button though. Also, the app displays in Portrait mode instead of Landscape mode even though display settings are set for Horizontal/Landscape mode.
  8. I downloaded Google Play's Waze traffic app and the app shows up in Portrait mode instead of Landscape mode, making it difficult to tap on the necessary soft buttons to log in.
  9. BT for streaming rarely connects on its own, I have to go to my phone and manually tap 'vline' for it to connect. Yes they are paired and I've tried removing and repairing, restarting, etc. and it still will not connect automatically.
Because it's so slow to boot, it would have been nice to have a battery pack add-on that charges as you drive and then keeps the system in standby mode when the car is off. That way the system never has to reboot unless it loses power through the battery pack--I know my phone can go almost 20 days in standby mode with a tiny battery so this system could easily hit that. Thinking about this further: they could just sell a dongle that has two USB ports, one that powers the Vline and the 2nd one to recharge a portable battery pack--this way a user can buy their own 3rd party battery pack with whatever size, as long as it it outputs the required amps, to use for standby when the car is off and it puts zero liability for battery issues on GROM (I don't think they would want a Samsung Note 7 battery issue here!).

I'm hoping they get the Android Auto approval soon because the CPU is way, way too slow. I'm hoping I can use the processing power of my phone by using Android Auto instead of the system since the native OS is absolutely useless due to being so slow and buggy.

Having said all of this, I've had great customer service and support from GROM in past experience, including this one where the ball joint holder of the mic broke off during installation and they are sending me a new one (already shipped only a couple hours after emailing them).

Because it's so slow to boot, it would have been nice to have a battery pack add-on that charges as you drive and then keeps the system in standby mode when the car is off. That way the system never has to reboot unless it loses power through the battery pack--I know my phone can go almost 20 days in standby mode with a tiny battery so this system could easily hit that. Thinking about this further: they could just sell a dongle that has two USB ports, one that powers the Vline and the 2nd one to recharge a portable battery pack--this way a user can buy their own 3rd party battery pack with whatever size, as long as it it outputs the required amps, to use for standby when the car is off and it puts zero liability for battery issues on GROM (I don't think they would want a Samsung Note 7 battery issue here!).

I appreciate you posting your experiences with the vline.

I'm not sure I get adding a battery to the system though. If your phone, with something like a 1500-1800 mAh battery, lasts 20 days in standby mode, and I already have something like a 90 Ah car battery under the hood, it seems that having two power leads (1 switched, 1 un-switched), like an old car stereo with built in clock, would be a whole lot easier.

Last edited:
Hi all- I'm such a slacker sorry for not getting you guys some updates. I still need to find the time to shoot some video of the VLine performance for you, so I'll work on that!

In the meantime since my last update and pics the unit has been working quite well. It's still buggy (beta still) but works 95% of the time as expected.

I can confirm that the unit has CarPlay compatibility. There are also some native GROM apps like A2DP streaming, etc. and I've even installed YouTube and Netflix into the unit and can run them by using my phone's hotspot. YouTube works well (for the passengers of course!) but Netflix hasn't played any video successfully.

But my favorite feature is the ability to run CarPlay in this 13 year-old vehicle. Now CarPlay isn't perfect either, but it all just works. Siri works as designed, navigation is up-to-date, and I love using Apple Music and pandora directly on the head unit. All things considered I can't complain!

They tech at GROM told me that I will eventually be able to run my rear camera aux into the unit (currently using NAVTool for that- another awesome product), which will be great because the VLine unit is "further down the line" than the NAVTool and so when active it overrides the ability to see my rear camera. But I can make it work by getting out of the VLine interface with the push of a button so no biggie.

Anyway hope that helps for now, and I'll do my best to get some video of the unit working asap.

Last edited:
This is getting good! Thanks for all the feedback and beta testing.

I appreciate you posting your experiences with the vline.

I'm not sure I get adding a battery to the system though. If your phone, with something like a 1500-1800 mAh battery, lasts 20 days in standby mode, and I already have something like a 90 Ah car battery under the hood, it seems that having two power leads (1 switched, 1 un-switched), like an old car stereo with built in clock, would be a whole lot easier.

Yes you're right, it would be easier and in both cases, the amount of power draw while in "Standby" is important in determining if either solutions would work. I guess in my response, I was thinking of the vline as a mobile android unit and the easiest solution would be to add a USB battery pack to keep prevent the Android system from turning off while the car is off.

I can confirm that the unit has both CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility.
Have you actually tested Android Auto as working with an Android phone? Just curious because mine did not work and I emailed them asking about why Android Auto isn't working and they said because they are still waiting for approval.

I guess you're right I can't confirm that Android Auto works because I don't have an Android phone. Sorry. But here is a video of the device working with my iPhone.

Just gott off a chat with tech support at VLine - I'm going to need to send them pics of the front and back (along with part number stickers) on my 03 LC nav unit, head unit, and screen as they're not sure yet if the 03' LX and 03LC wavs systems are the same - he said he *thinks* the LX moved a generation ahead in '03 while the LC stayed the same as '02.

same situation... any clarification from the good folks at GROM?

Wondering about Bluetooth while on CarPlay and rear camera.
Can you still make calls and talk while on CarPlay ? Does it needs another mic ?
Does the backup camera still auto engages ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom