Going to start a build! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

aaronrules

Coolest person you know!
Threads
Ok first off, when the check gets there and the truck gets here, I will have a 2006 LX 470 that is mostly stock. Comes OEM wheels and another set. My first two mods are going to be PFan LEDs and the Viastech module for my iPhone integration.

After that I'm thinking in order of getting done:

Ties- 285-75r18 Toyo Open country RT
Suspension - Slee heavy kit with diff drop and upper UCAs
Front Bumper - from @benc
Sliders - from @reevesci
Rear Bumper - from @benc

That's the bare minimum mods planned. Hopefully I can get these done pretty quickly. As soon as @benc gets a roof rack and sliders, I'm going to jump on that list too! If not, the slee skids will be fine.

If you guys could start all over again with your builds, what would you do different, same or not at all?

This truck is coming with a working AHC system and extensive maintenance records and 151k miles. I'm super excited!

Welcome back Aaron! Just missed HIH. Lockers and gears, put it on the list. Maybe not first but somewhere along the way. Great sense of confidence with the improved traction and beefed up front end. You may not need gears with the 5 speed though. Could save some coin there.

Congrats Aaron! I felt for you when circumstances forced you to sell your old Hundy - happy for you that you found another. Now, before you sell off the 20" spinners, you should put the LX in low and go to a couple of stance shows?! :)

Looks like you found yourself a really clean one! Looking forward to your build.

Congrats on the purchase.

Lessons learned from my build so far:
- Buy quality equipment and get as much as can at the same time. I waited and saved up so I could do armor and tires at the same time which saved me the hassle of having to redo suspension settings, alignment, etc...
- AHC does a good job. I would be hesitant to rip out a perfectly working AHC. I am running 34.5" tires with front bumper & winch, skids, and sliders - everything fits and the ride is good. I can stay in N for street and still go into H offroad. Flush the fluid, do a sensor lift if you want a higher stance, body lift if needed to fit tires.
- While lockers and gears are on my list I don't feel too sluggish with the '06, certainly slower then before but it's not hunting for gears and still has plenty of power offroad.

Congrats Arron! Too bad your not closer to me, The guy that bought my 100 didn't want the tires so I have 5 285/75r18 Toyo rt with less than 1000 miles I have to do something with.

A few things I would do different is do more research on dual battery systems, I was not to happy with the national Luna kit.
I also would have spent the extra money on some high end shocks.
I guess that really all I would change.
Maybe a road trip to Cali is in store after all:) We could get you set up with bumpers roof rack and tires.

Believe I had just bought my 100 as you were stepping away from your prior rig, glad you were able to find another and good luck with the build. :beer:

Congrats on the purchase.

Lessons learned from my build so far:
- Buy quality equipment and get as much as can at the same time. I waited and saved up so I could do armor and tires at the same time which saved me the hassle of having to redo suspension settings, alignment, etc...
- AHC does a good job. I would be hesitant to rip out a perfectly working AHC. I am running 34.5" tires with front bumper & winch, skids, and sliders - everything fits and the ride is good. I can stay in N for street and still go into H offroad. Flush the fluid, do a sensor lift if you want a higher stance, body lift if needed to fit tires.
- While lockers and gears are on my list I don't feel too sluggish with the '06, certainly slower then before but it's not hunting for gears and still has plenty of power offroad.

You running all that stuff on a stock AHC system?

If you guys could start all over again with your builds, what would you do different, same or not at all?

!

I would hit my suspension first. Then CV Boots. Then replace heater hose t's, fuel filter and fluids and o2 sensors. And I'd clean the engine as much as possible. Next I'd add a dual battery system.

Bottom line, I'd make operating reliability highest priority in my build.

If you do rip out the functioning AHC system for a traditional lift, I am interested in all of the AHC goodies like the globes, sensors, pump, control valves, etc. My parents live about 2 hours south of you. I plan to keep my AHC as long as I have my LX so some spares would be very much welcomed.

The only thing I would change about my build so far would be to have ordered the 0* version of the White Knuckle sliders I have to make them more functional as side steps for my 4 yo.

You running all that stuff on a stock AHC system?

I agree 100% with Froger, according to his build, his truck and mine are pretty close to identical, aside from a few things here and there. I did a AHC flush when I added the weight (along with rear spring spacers, Japan 4x4 coil spacers, adjusted torsion bars, diff drop) and the AHC has been handling it all just fine. I read a lot of consternation about adding weight to AHC, but I've yet to see (although, not to say it hasn't happened) a properly maintained AHC system fail after adding armor. It's your truck, but you're talking about a hell of an expense ripping out the AHC and adding all new suspension. If it's functioning properly, just do what many others have done to keep it 'happy' and in spec. Not to mention that AHC is a hell of a usable system, I love it.

Exactly what @mgoblue said. I documented much of it in my build thread but short version:

Check AHC to make sure it is working properly (Fluid level check documented on various threads)
I took baseline pressure measurements via Techstream
Flush system
Add armor/tires
Sensor lift if you like (I also did a 0.5" BL to help with tire fitment)
Adjust torsion bars to get pressures correct
Adjust rear springs if needed - i.e. spacers or different springs (I am running 80 series springs but they are a bit harsh w/o a full load)
Alignment

I did not so a diff drop b/c I only did a mild sensor lift ~0.5".

I have no issues so far and it behaves nicely on and off road. If my system fails I will swap it out for a traditional suspension but to do it right it is $$$. When I do swap it out I plan on Icon or Slee - I ran OME on my 4runner and was not impressed especially after I swapped it with icon remote reservoir.

One other note is brakes. Make sure your brakes are in tip top shape (flush, good pads/rotors, no seized pistons) they will need to stop an extra 1000lbs. Many opinions on brakes in regards to rotor/pad brands I am about to do a write up in my build thread going over what I have used along with brake lines.

I did plan on doing the OME Slee heavy lift. But it sounds like I might be happy with doing a sensor lift. I think I would be wheeling it with the "it's going break any minute now" thought in the back of my head.

If and probably when I do rip out the AHC, I will take care not break anything and will probably just pay it forward to someone.

But again, we are talking at least 6 months down the road.

I run 295/70s with the mods I listed and sensor lift, it doesn't rub at all.

Just like about everything on these trucks the suspension is very robust, the likelihood of it "breaking" on the trail is pretty slim unless you're abusing it, in which case any suspension could break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom