Godzilla gets a facelift, and a little nip and tuck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love it! Question about the sliders, I'm planning to do the same thing. Did you initially stitch-weld it, then weld the whole thing later?
i know you asked @Hank6760 , hope you don't mind if i weigh in on it. when i did mine which cut just a titch lower, i burned a 3/4" pipe on top of the 2x4 tube then stitched the body to that. the back side was cut to the bottom of the tube then stitched to the corner of that. i hope hank doesn't have take his front fenders off, it'll be grinder time. mine i'm planning on using some sort of self-tapping fastener for that bottom edge. the 3/4" tube fit nicely into the radius which hank cut off. i posted up pics in my build thread " the dragonship" if you're curious

They are overkill, but they are 4” heavy wall tubes welded every 4”-6” to the body. It was the material lying around available at the shop. I didn’t worry about the weight as the truck did lose some.
4” worked well as it comes out even with the fender and hangs down to the bottom of the “flange” when the rocker is removed.

When we were working on it there was debate on welding to the fender, cut off wheels are cheap and readily available at work, plus there are guys that can reweld if need be.i am not one of those guys haha

When we were working on it there was debate on welding to the fender, cut off wheels are cheap and readily available at work, plus there are guys that can reweld if need be.i am not one of those guys haha
i hear you, i'm not one those guys either, but i fumbly f@#k my way thru it. how close are you to meeting your march goal?

i know you asked @Hank6760 , hope you don't mind if i weigh in on it. when i did mine which cut just a titch lower, i burned a 3/4" pipe on top of the 2x4 tube then stitched the body to that. the back side was cut to the bottom of the tube then stitched to the corner of that. i hope hank doesn't have take his front fenders off, it'll be grinder time. mine i'm planning on using some sort of self-tapping fastener for that bottom edge. the 3/4" tube fit nicely into the radius which hank cut off. i posted up pics in my build thread " the dragonship" if you're curious
Thanks for directing me to your build thread, I plan to do the same thing with my quarter panels. The worst rust on my 62 are the rockers and rear quarters so I'm chopping both, I like the way you capped your quarters, I'll likely do the same thing. I'll also add wrap-around "wings" to my swingout bumper to protect that area.

I was worried about doing the body mounted "sliders" but I've seen more and more guys do it and everyone seems to be really happy with them. As a bonus, I don't have to get rocker patch panels and screw around with a bunch of body work.

i hear you, i'm not one those guys either, but i fumbly f@#k my way thru it. how close are you to meeting your march goal?
The 3rd was the actual goal, so I blew past that one, I may get done with all but paint by the end of the month though I do have a long range tank to figure out.

Thanks for directing me to your build thread, I plan to do the same thing with my quarter panels. The worst rust on my 62 are the rockers and rear quarters so I'm chopping both, I like the way you capped your quarters, I'll likely do the same thing. I'll also add wrap-around "wings" to my swingout bumper to protect that area.

I was worried about doing the body mounted "sliders" but I've seen more and more guys do it and everyone seems to be really happy with them. As a bonus, I don't have to get rocker patch panels and screw around with a bunch of body work.
no problem n thanks. i'm considering adding some sorta tube work to those wrap around bumper sections, you know, to protect the fenders back there cuz she' got a big @$$. i think it was @pistonpete that built his rockers with 2 tube pcs cut n fitted to replicate rockerpanel angle n such. it looks good but i wasn't that ambitious :hillbilly:

The 3rd was the actual goal, so I blew past that one, I may get done with all but paint by the end of the month though I do have a long range tank to figure out.
yeah, i've lost count of how many deadlines i've overshot on my 60. so now i just keep pluggin' away. re: long range tank. mine's sorta long rangeish, a 31 gallon suburban tank now resides where the leaky original one hung

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom