1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM Truck steering wheel in a FJ40?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Sparky_Mark, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Sparky_Mark

Sparky_Mark

Hello,
    Although I have just registered, I've been participating the list for quite a while... great source of info. Thanks everyone who makes this forum possible ( I have saved a lot of money during the last restoration project).
    Now for the question. I have a newer GM truck steering wheel out of a 2000 Silverado. I would like to try to fit it, and was wondering if anyone has done it? (I have access to the Instrument Panel that the wheel came from). I have power steering (GM Saginaw) and will be dropping in a new engine + automatic trans later. Wiring is not an issue since that's what I do for a living here in the Detroit area. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. rusty40

rusty40

I am putting a older tilt coloumn out of an 81 trans in my 72 fj40 am and I found the wiring codes on the internet its really easy for me cuz I only need the signal lever hooked up

a new one soulndt be too hard to figure out

3. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Make sure the column is going to be long enough from the dash to where you need it when in your driving position. I used a newer style the first time I put a column in and it was too much of a reach to the wheel. Newer cars seem to have the dash sticking out closer to the driver.