Ghost Winch - Need Troubleshooting Help (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I've got a winch in my enclosed race car trailer mounted to the floor in the front. It came with the trailer. I will edit this post soon with the make and model number. I installed a remote control (amazon $30 kit Amazon product ASIN B07SV69V38 ) so I can winch up my race car and not drive it up. Anyway, I'm having two issues:

#1 The winch will pull for a few seconds and then click as if it's going into thermal overload protection. After about 15-20 seconds, it'll click and then work again but only for a few seconds until it clicks and stops working. This happens over and over so that winching the car up takes waaaaaaaaay too long.

#2 The winch will operate randomly with no user input. It's happened a few times while I had the car half way winched up and was doing something else. The winch would just start pulling for a little bit, maybe a second or so. I've had the car in the trailer with the winch hooked to the front tow strap and a ratchet strap to a rear wheel while the trailer is parked in my yard. Whenever I leave it like this, I take most of the tension off the winch so it's not pulling on it while just resting. Last time I came out to the trailer, there was a ton of tension on the winch line like the winch had engaged and pulled a bunch. I'm lucky it didn't snap the tow strap! Also, my neighbor told me that she heard the winch operating once while she was just walking by the trailer.

How would you go about troubleshooting these two issues?

How would you go about troubleshooting these two issues?

Procure the services of a winch exorcist?

Seriously though, I would suspect the receiver on your remote control kit is cheap and poorly-shielded, and is being triggered by other nearby devices; garage openers or who knows what else in this modern "internet of things" world. At the very least, it sounds like some controller wires have worn insulation and may be shorting out. Those are the first two places I would look.

sounds like it has an auto reset breaker. It may need replacing or without knowing which winch you have and it's capacity, you may legitimately be
overloading the winch and the breaker is performing correctly. I recently came across a 8000lb winch, that a customer brought to have installed, that came with
two 50 amp auto-reset breaker that the instructions said to install, in series, between the power cable and battery. Maybe my math sucks but the winch draws a stated
340 amps at 8000lbs pull. Something tells me that the winch will never achieve full pull with the breakers inline

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom